We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

Northeast
3 posts
Save Topic
Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

We are traveling to Kauai after several days in Waikiki. We only have 3 nights on Kauai and would like beach within short walk or on property and dining nearby. We aren't interested in a large resort since we'll be staying in one on Waikiki and will be ready for a more relaxing location. Some places on the east side have good reviews, but we're worried about unswimmable beaches, traffic and distances from other sites. Which area should we stay in to maximize our relaxation time - Poipu or East Side?

Thanks for your help!

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

Aloha got2travel,

Of course I am going to recommend Hanei Bay Resort. This is located on the north shore of Kauai. It is a group of condos, some timeshare and the others are privately owned. I would suggest renting a privately owned unit. A perfect option for you is to rent a "hotel" room. They run about $125-$150/nite plus tax and a cleaning fee. (all private owners charge this but it is still less than going through the hotel) The views from this part of the island are breathtaking. You will over look Bali Hai, Hanalei Bay and the most beautiful mountains with waterfalls. The weather is still very warm in Sept and the surf will be perfect. It will be a wonderful way to relax in paradise after a crazy time in Honolulu.

HBR has a private paved beach path to the beach below. It's not the greatest beach but it's OK. The Princeville Resort uses it as well. If you don't want to walk back up just call the bellmen. There is a restaurant and bar with nightly music on the property. There are also many good restaurants in Hanalei Town 10 minutes down the road. Please see some really nice condos on summitpacific.com or VRBO. Also read reviews of private condos on TA reviews.

I promise you wherever you stay on Kauai will be relaxing and you will return time after time. It does that to you!!!

Email me directly with any questions.

Mahalo

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

We stayed at Kapaa last time, beach there not swimmable, but some are.

we have only been to Kauai three times, first two in Nov/Dec. both time north shore weather not good. so last time we went in Oct and stayed at Kapaa, and north shore weather was good.

However beach where we stayed at Kapaa not swimmable. Easy enough to get to swimmable beaches but need to drive.

We are going back in Oct to Poipu, good swimable beach there.

but one time I would like to try north shore in early fall. some really nice beaches there if surf is not up.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

I would tend to think that September would still be a perfect time to stay on the Northshore . . .gorgeous beaches, very quiet and laidback. Stay near Hanalei if you want to be closing to dining, and most beaches are just a short drive away. :)

Northeast
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

Thanks for the replies! The north shore and Hanalei area look so beautiful. We still aren't sure if we want to stay that far north. How long does it really take to get to the Poipu and Waimea Canyon area from Hanalei? Does anyone have other suggestions besides the north shore area? There are a lot of places ner Kapaa with walkable beaches which is great, but traffic seems to be a real problem there. Also, is the current construction expected to continue into the fall?

Thank you.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live in the Koloa/Po'ipu Beach area and for me to drive up to Princeville or Hanalei I always allow myself 2 hours. It might not always be that long, but with all the traffic through the Kapa'a area, it is wise to give yourself plenty of time -- also Ke'e Beach is actually quite a little drive from Princeville for instance and mostly on windy narrow roads, so you won't be able to travel at highway speeds on all of the areas.

To drive to Waimea Canyon from Po'ipu (all the way up the Canyon) would take an hour and a half -- that is about 45 minutes to Waimea (going fast!) and plenty of extra time to stop at some of the lookouts (you might need more time) to the Canyon.

Hope that any of this helps!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Northeast
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

Koloagirl,

Thank you for the travel distance times from North Shore. We will spend a whole day exploring the north, but do you have some ideas of where to stay somewhere in between north and south? So far we are thinking about Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy, Islander on the Beach and Poipu Kai. We really want to avoid a large hotel and would like to have nice grounds for walking to a nearby beach and some dining. Any other suggestions anyone?

Thanks for all the great tips!

7. Re: Need advice for travel to Kauai in Sept?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 22:20