We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

polihale?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
polihale?

leaving for Kauai in 8 days for a 2 week stay! wow can't wait! question.. i read where the barking sands beach is closed to the public.. can you still get to polihale? any tips of safety in getting to that area.. we don't want to get stranded!

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: polihale?

Hi Susies43

We drove out to Polihale last week. If you have a look at my trip report, you'll see I was really unimpressed with the drive out. Maybe if you have a truck or 4wheel drive it would be better? But with a normal rental car, it took us 50 minutes in and 50 minutes back and we hit bottom 3 or 4 times. Were also told that the rental car companies are not impressed if you break down out there, and could cost lots of $$ to get you out.

Having said that, it is beautiful, and I'm glad I saw it, but won't be hurrying back there anytime soon! (Ironically, we took a Napali boat tour a couple of days later and got to see the beach from there anyway)

Tips on safety - drive really slow. If you plan on staying for awhile, bring snacks and water, and note there is no shade on that beach. We did see a couple of guys go in the water, but it was way too rough for us to try it.

Have a great trip.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: polihale?

Perhaps it was our imagination, but it seemed to us that the road wasn't as bad if you sort of drive side to side instead of hitting the potholes head on. I timed our trip out and we did it in 20 minutes in a car in March. I wouldn't want to try it at dark, though! Also don't try it if it's rained there recently.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: polihale?

Susie..

We. haave been out to polihale, a few times, but the road was was fairly rough, and we followed the guide books instructions on stopping before the sandy road. Others did not pay attention, and were mire deep in the sand. Oh well...........

It was hot, we walked over the dunes and looked at the beach...be aware it is open to the swells.....good plan on the poster who decided not to go in. We did have drowning there this year.

We really like to go to other beaches, and one of our favorites, if you want a nearly deserted beach is MAHAULEPU, which is reached on the cane haul road past the Hyatt.

20 minutes seems like a pretty fast trip out to polihale, but it has been a while, and we took it real easy due to the washboard road, and potholes.......plus, if you mess up, break out the big bucks....

Dont forget about Larsens, and Secret, and Hideaways, and Ke'e, and Tunnels, and.....well , there are a bunch to explore.

Denny

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: polihale?

watch the surf reports before you go. News is calling for 25 foot waves hitting the north/west side of Oahu tmw. What they get we get as it's just 90 miles.

Polihale is a notorious spot for drownings.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: polihale?

To me, Polihale is a great sunset beach to visit. Between the absence of shade and preponderance of waves, it's just not that good to justify the effort of getting there during the day.

But at sunset, you get probably anywhere from a 1/4 mile to a 1/2 mile of beach to yourselves, watch the Napali cliffs beside and behind you change color as the sun dips, and some incredible views as it sets below the waves. I have some unforgettable pictures of the sun illuminating a offshore rain shower, and another set of the wet golden sand at the edge of the ocean sloping down into the equally golden sea that I love as well.

A great place for a couple to visit, share some wine and create an unforgettable Hawaii memory!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: polihale?

thank you everyone for your responses ! i guess we'll have to see if we have a nice dry period when we are there and weigh the pros and cons of visiting this beach! like you said we won't run out of wonderful beaches to visit!

anywhere
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: polihale?

susie, just to make you aware that as wonderful as Mahalepu is, it is a very rough road also. weekends are for the "local" families there, so try and leave it to them, they also want to get away from the Kauai wannabees.

Erin

Texas
Level Contributor
552 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: polihale?

The best reasons to go to Polihale is because it is beautiful, difficult to get to and because you can give other folks advise on how to do it. The first time I did it, I was in a jeep and the road was full of potholes. Once you reach the beach end of the road, it takes some effort to get to the top of the sand dunes, but the view at the top is worth it. When you get to the island, get updated on the condition of the road. The county comes periodically and fills the potholes, so you may get there at a good time. I don't know where you are staying, but you might combine a trip to Polihale with a trip to Waimea Canyon, the Salt Ponds and that would be a great day.

Ozark, MO
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: polihale?

I would love to go out there for a sunset but wouldn't this mean driving the road back in the dark?

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: polihale?

The first time we went there was actually right before sunset. It was gorgeous. But we did leave before the sun went all the way down so that we would be most of the way back along the dirt road before it got too dark.