We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai or Maui

Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai or Maui

Only 3 days to spare would you suggest Kauai or Maui. We will be a week in Lanikai on Oahu and then will have 3 extra days to visit another island. We're more interested in the natural sights than shopping. We just can't decide. Help!

BC Canada
Level Contributor
512 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai or Maui

If you only have 3 days and you're already going to Oahu, I would recommend Kauai. (I've been to Maui 4 times and Kauai twice)

Kauai is a smaller island with lots of natural beauty. You can easily spend 3 days sightseeing and/or enjoying the beaches. We've already booked our third trip in three years next winter in Kauai - we can't get enough!

Have a great time!

Michigan
Level Contributor
280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai or Maui

Sort of like asking someone to pick their favorite child! That said, if you're looking for natural sights, then I'd choose Kauai. Awesome hiking on the NaPali coast, countless waterfalls, the Waimea Canyon, river kayaking. You really need to take a helicopter ride to appreciate it all, so much is unreachable by car.

I'd give Maui an edge for beaches, the road to Hana drive and the sunrise at Haleakala.

Either one's a winner, but in 3 days you could see a lot of Kauai. Just enough to whet your appetite for a return trip!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai or Maui

I think Kauai is a good choicefor just three days. Good choice on Lanikai, too! You'll love it-

Aloha!

Maui
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai or Maui

Gosh, flip a coin. You really can't go wrong. Kaui is more natural and undeveloped, so it's a big contrast from Oahu that way. But Maui is a bigger contrast geologically. It has plenty of natural beauty, but a different look than Oahu and Kaui because it's a newer island (Kauai & Oahu are the oldest).

Seattle & Poipu
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai or Maui

I'd say Kauai, but then again I'm biased towards it. What are you looking to do for those 3 days ? Maui has more things going on in terms of shopping, restaurants, tourist attractions fancy hotels and great beaches. But with that you've got more cars, more people and (to me) more hassle.

Kauai is more laid back and has much more natural beauty, but shopping is more Macy's than Gucci. It has great hiking and some very awesome beaches though not all of them are swimmable. But you can find ones that are not crowded at all.

The only thing that I like about Maui more than Kauai is that Maui has more and often better roads for bicycling.

Either choice is a winner though.

Alan

Brooten,Mn
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai or Maui

Kauai! Have fun!

Missouri
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai or Maui

Kaua has more natual sights and less shopping than Maui. Hope this helps.