We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Topic
Tell me the truth, I can take it!

I keep reading and hearing about this chicken-thing on Kauai. Tell me it ain't so! :):)

I have an unreasonable fear of ANYTHING with feathers!! If a bird comes near me, I can beat a track-star in a 40 yard dash, to get away from the bird.

I know! I know! I'm strange, at least where anything with feathers is concerned.

Last June we went to Key West for the first time, my parents went with us, my Mom (the lover of all animals) fed the dang things! Key West has LOTS of chickens running around. We had many, many Key West chickens waiting outside our door, each morning and night.

So tell me it "ain't" so!! Will I be running from chickens while there??

janie-------who can take the truth, really she can!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,280 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Dear Janie:

There are chickens pretty much every where in Kauai, but we were never approached by them. In fact, my youngest daughter kept trying, but they would run away. We started seeing chickens as soon as we got off the airplane. :) They did not wait outside the door, nor did they come near us on any beach. We would see them while walking/hiking. That's about it - nothing to fear!

I am not sure if anyone else has had a bad chicken experience while on Kauai.

One of the reasons I picked Kauai over the other islands for my first trip to Hawaii is that Kauai has more birds than any other island, since the mongoose isn't there. I loved that feature! Waking up to birds singing every morning was just blissful!

Go and enjoy Kauai - a fabulous island, even with chickens.

Aloha! :)

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Chickens congregate where the tourists do, looking for hand-outs. There are a lot at the lodge in Kokee, at the Spouting Horn and several other places. Avoid the "touristy" areas and maybe they won't find you!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

So, I should be safe from the chickens?!?!

:)

janie

Washington
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Seen lots of chickens while hiking but they pretty much ran away when approached. Now the peacocks were another matter..This was several years ago, so not sure they are still around, but be stopped at a little village up the Wailua River and ran into some very aggressive birds wanting handouts..

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Chickens are running loose all over the island. This was a result of hurricane Iniki a few years back. The chickens are pretty harmless. I have been to the island many times and have not had a"bad" chicken experience!

-Nick

Atlanta
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Okay..........so the chickens are safe, it's just the peacocks I should fear.........LOL

thanks

janie

Michigan
Level Contributor
294 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Our only "chicken experience" in Kauai last fall was at the Kauai Marriott. Every morning at daybreak, they would start crowing in the courtyard/pool area. We were up 4 or 5 floors, but there was no way you could sleep through it. Asked the staff about it, they said they were protected and there was nothing they could do. (i.e., bus them to KFC)

Thinking back, I don't remember seeing them the rest of the day. At least they weren't a bother, if they were there. Maybe the chicken catcher guy in Key West is in need of a Hawaiian vacation!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Recipe for Kauai wild chickens:

Catch and clean one chicken.

Find one 3 pound rock.

Add 1 gallon of water to two seperate pots.

Place chicken in one pot and rock in the other.

Bring to a boil.

When rock is fork tender chicken is ready to eat.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell me the truth, I can take it!

Well Janiebelle, if you are as afraid of chickens as I am of snakes, you won't like Kauai. Even though the chickens run if you try to approach them, they ARE everywhere. If it was a snake instead of a chicken, I would probably die of fright, so I know where you're coming from.

If you can stand looking at them from a distance of 10 or more feet, you'll be OK.

The only "agressive" chickens we came upon was on our hike to the secret falls. They were pretty aggressive with our picnic and we threw bits of food away from us to keep them at bay.