We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'opaeka Falls restrooms

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
O'opaeka Falls restrooms

I hope I spelled that right. I understand they tore down the restrooms at this Falls. is it being remodeled? Is another being built? I did notice some heavy equipment in the area when we were there in July but didn't expect them to remove the facilities.

anybody know what is up?

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

Rose~

Hi! They tore them down?? Why?

Miss you,

lori

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

Hi ms islandgirl. I am hoping someone will answer why they were torn down. I am hoping they are just rebuilding.

you do realize this means we both have to go back?

miss ya too, lots and lots.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

They're supposed to be rebuilding and adding some new features.

From the Star Bulletin on July 9:

"Another contractor for the DLNR will begin improvements to the Opaekaa Falls Lookout. Plans include the construction of a comfort station with new features, sewer system improvements and accessible water fountains, a picnic table and pathway improvements"

Hopefully they'll add hi voltage electricity to that fence where clueless tourists climb over to get to the bottom of the falls (the spot where the two women plummeted to their death not long ago).

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

Maybe it was a sign Rose?

Hate to see it go down, guess it could use some repairing! ; )

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I posted a thread called "Improvements set to begin at Opaeka'a Falls restrooms" (I think that was the name) in early July. It was the article from our local paper talking about the closure of the restrooms and the improvements.

Basically it is closed until November (altho' there are porta potties set up) and is costing $448,000 to re-do the restrooms with ADA accessible areas, drinking fountain, etc.

They are definitely working on it -- I was up there a few days ago and there were still tons of visitors at the lookout area -- I don't know if I'd want to use those porta potties unless I was desperate!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

bump.....are the restrooms here open again?

thanks

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

I do know that they are open and functional. I experienced this for myself on October 19, 2008.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

They were open when we were there in September and appeared to be new.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

Speaking of comfort stations, how about the year long or more non effort building of the Ke'e Beach comfort station......

Did they ever finish that ? I mean how long does it take to build an outhouse ?

Then, they could also open up more parking that used to be available before that one building project was started many moons past.

I believe it is a state project, but it took a year to put the stipe on the new road up to Pu'u O Kila, so that people could drive up and not walk that mile on a brand new black top.

Last time we were up north at Ke'e. That " New" comfort station was not showing much progress over the year. In fact zero work was being done by human hand when we were there.

Maybe some late visitors, or others can clue us in, would be nice to hear that it us all completed and open.

And that the additional parking area , that was blocked off , due to construction barriers, would once again be available.

Mahalo,

Denny

10. Re: O'opaeka Falls restrooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 20:17