We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

Rockport...
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

Author: beachgirl86

Date: 08/14/2007, 02:58 am

Hi Fodorites,

DH and I are in Kauai now. We were on the BI last week. I had about 400 photos that are irreplacable...of our 3rd anniversary, turtles we can upon sunning themselves on A-Bay, us spelling out a message in white coral on Highway 19 on the BI, and just this morning, tons of priceless photos of a monk seal on Shipwreck Beach. All of a sudden tonight, my digital camera read "memory card error", and ALL the photos are gone :( I am heartbroken to lose these memories, and have been crying all night. DH is at a loss to console me, AND it's my birthday today! Anyways, the concierge here at the Hyatt gave us some photo recs for stores that might be able to help. A couple didn't answer as it's almost 9 p.m. here, but Photo Spectrum said to bring the card in tomorrow and they'd see if they could retrieve anything. They said it's 50/50.

I'm posting for 3 reasons:

1.) Has anyone had this happen, and what was your outcome?

2.) Any more specific recs of digital camera places I could look into on Kauai?

3.) To tell you all to DOWNLOAD YOUR PHOTOS EVERYDAY IF POSSIBLE! I am sick that I didn't do this, since we have our laptop with us. I am so distraught over losing all these photos.

Anyways, any help/advice/similar experiences is much appreciated. Mahalo!

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

Sorry I can't be of any help to you. My sympathies for you. I hope a photo shop can help you. Or maybe someone here will be of help for you.

Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

i completely understand! We lost all our pictures of our long awaited 3 week trip to celebrate our 15th anniversary. It was devastating! We took over 800 photos (including the romantic dinner on the beach at sunset that my hubby surprised me with on our anniversary, and us standing next to flowing lava on the Big Island) and didn't find out until after we returned that our camera was broken and none of them turned out (it was a "regular" camera, not digital). The only pictures we ended up with were our underwater cameras, and thank goodness we took a few "land" pictures with those (to use them up), otherwise we'd have no pictures at all.

But, the happy part is that since I was so upset, we decided to go back again the next year. Now we take our "regular" camera and our digital camera, and we use multiple disposable cameras as well. The film pictures are typically just a little bit better than digital, and the disposables take surprising good pictures. I'd rather have too many pictures and keep the best than have none at all.

Good luck with getting them back!

3. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2007, 14:10
New York
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

I am so sorry to hear about this...I would be heartsick too if this happened on my trip...But I do think there may be hope...Don't reuse the card, don't format it, put it away until you get home...You may be able for a fee find a photo rescue service...

In the meantime, buy new card and format it before use.

Make sure your camera is clean, and that the memory card slot is clean as most likely there may be dust, dirt, or sand inside...

You can download photo's during your vacation by going to COSTCO and I think Walmart too in Hawaii...Don't let it ruin the rest of your vacation...as your memories live in your heart!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

It is very important that they not reuse the card, and even more important that they do not format it until all attempts to recover the data have been tried. There are lots of programs designed to do it & here are a couple of links to info re them.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/559589

i recommend you print off the info there as that message will be archived very soon unless there is another post added to it.

http://www.photo-forums.com/WebX?50@71.rQNVb1kS6iy.7@.ee8cc4b/0

Never rely on one card for your travels, have a few & rotate the use of them, PLUS download daily or even more often depending on the number shot & importance of them. Most pros agree that it is best to have several smaller capacity cards than 1 or 2 big ones, as it reduces the risk of this kind of disaster.

NM
Level Contributor
947 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

I had a similar experience with one of my video tapes from our trip. When we got home and tried to watch it the tape was like completely erased! This was one hour worth of filming and our entire first week on Maui. Lucky I took two more tapes worth of video and had many photos too. I just hated to lose that video. I hope your situation turns out alright.

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
606 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

This happened to us when we were in Las Vegas. My son recovered most of our photos. I am sorry I can't tell you how, but I know it is possible. I tried to reformat it, but it happened again...so I threw it out. Good Luck.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

Thanks so much for all your tips/advice. I greatly appreciate it!

We are off to Photo Spectrum now to see if they can recover them. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

westminster
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

What kind of camera do you have? Have you tried viewing the memory card contents on your PC? Sometimes you get the memory card error but the data is still on the card and is readable by your pc. Also, you may need to open up your camera. Yep open it up by removing the screws and then remove and re-install the internal battery. You could also look into the memory card slot and see if you have a bent pin.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On Kauai now - "memory card error" -- all photos gone. Help!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Photo Spectrum is the largest camera place on the island -- it is definitely a good idea to try them -- but if they can't do anything --

Then go to "Don's Camera" on Rice St. in Lihu'e -- Uncle Don is extremely knowledgeable and has been in business for over 25 years in the same location. My husband and I ran a "One Hour Photo" place in Koloa up until a year ago -- Uncle Don was always our main help.

And if all else fails -- you could go to Costco and see Doug in One Hour Photo (my husband) -- he is pretty smart about digital cameras and might be able to give you a "second opinion".

The best of luck with your pictures -- but maybe you'll be able to get some great high surf pictures with the Hurricane coming in at the end of the week!

Malama Pono,

Janet