We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low tide or morning time?

Emeryville, CA
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Low tide or morning time?

Hi, I've read 2 major advices about snorkeling in Kauai, esp. the north beaches:

1. Go at low-tide

2. Go in the morning

However, when I checked the tide time for May 28-30, which are the days that I'll be in Kauai, the low-tide time is at noon/in the afternoon, and the morning hours are high-tide!

So in this case, should I pick morning? Or should I pick low-tide?

Also, is the end of May too early to be snorkeling in the north beaches?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low tide or morning time?

not familar with the place in question but hawaii tides are pretty minimal like maybe 1', nothing like you get in california so I wouldn't , make a big deal about the tide

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low tide or morning time?

I agree that the tides are minimal - we snorkelled any time of the day that we felt like it - numerous times per day.

When we were there in Feb/ Mar, people were already snorkelling on the north shore (we stuck to the south shore) so I think it can also depend on the daily conditions as well as the time of the year.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Low tide or morning time?

I just got back from Kauai two weeks ago and had a wonderful time snorkeling at Tunnels Beach on the North Shore! The water was VERY rough except there. It should be even better when you go! I went in the early afternoon (didn't check any tide tables) and couldn't think that it could get any better than it was the day I went out!! The water was very clear (and shallow for the most part on the reef) there were an abundance of different fish and several large green sea turtles that would swim right up and check YOU OUT! Very cool indeed!

Have a great time and take as many pictures as you can! I fogot to bring my waterproof camera the day I went to Tunnels and I am still kicking myself for not having it! Those would have been GREAT pictures. The water was very clear! You can get waterproof camera's all over the place in Kauai, but they sell them cheap at the WalMart in Lihue (they were like $7-$8 there).

Aloha :-)

Dan

-Aloha

Dan