We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split trip, north and south??

10 posts
Save Topic
Split trip, north and south??

I am planning a trip with my boyfriend for 10-14 days in Kauai (never been) -- most likely in the summer months. I know Kauai has so much to offer and I'd like to see as much of it as I can.

We both are definitely not the "sit at the pool all day" type of people; if we're going to go to Kauai, we'd like to get out and see all the beauty and adventure it has to offer. Because of this, I know that renting a cottage/condo would be our best bet because it would free up some money for some other things.

Since we want to see all of the island, do you think that our best bet would be to split our time on the north and south shores (2 different condo/cottage rentals)? If so, where do you think would be the best general location on both the north and south shores to stay? We'd prefer to be able to use our rental car to easily access all of the destinations on the north half of the island (when staying in the north), and south half (when staying in the south). I'm aware of the VRBO site and notice it has tons of options, but i'd like to narrow things down a bit in terms of location.

Thanks so much!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split trip, north and south??

splitting would save you gas and time if you plan to spend a lot of time exploring.

The destinations with the most choices are Poipu in the South which gives you good access for the Waimea canyon area. 2nd choice somewhere in Waimea itself, but Poipu has the restaurants and better beaches (IMO).

Up North, Princeville/Hanalei area is where the visitors mostly stay. Or you can look for something off the beaten path on one of the other beaches. These tend to be houses though so perhaps not optimal for just a couple.

I'd start with the lists on Kauaivacationrentals.com. They're broken down by area. Then if you prefer to go it alone with owners directly, go back to VRBO.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split trip, north and south??

Agree with Dave,

Although we have split our stay on the island only once as visitors, it worked out very well , and it was an easy deal.

We stayed five days on the south shore in a 1br deluxe garden view at poipu kai thur suite-paradise. That not only put us walking distance to the beaches, brenneckes, poipu, and the beach at the waiohai, but also a quick 6 minute drive to lawai ( beach house ) for great snorkeling. and your own key to the semi private and generally not crowded pool overlooking the ocean ).

We could also walk over to shipwreck at the hyatt ( probably dirve if you have lots of beach gear. )

Toss in a nice hike/walk , or drive the cane haul road to deserted Mahalulepu Beach.

This is all from the Manualoha section at poipu kai. ( these are great condos, and very reasonaly priced )

All kinds of other ,close , fun and activites for your adventurous souls, including drivng up to waimea canyon and kokee for hikes or fabulous views from the overlooks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NORTH SHORE: 4 Days for us up on the north shore at individual pole houses, overlooking Mt. Waialeale. Place is called the Hanalei Bay Villas. Three story , with two lanais, and full on everything, as well as assigned parking directly out front. Also very reasonable.

We had unit 10, and it was easy to walk the beach access trail down to the Princeville hotels beach. Also directly across the road was the access and cliff trail to get down to beautiful Hideways beach for sun and snorkeling.

Hanalei Town, and Tunnels, and Ke'e were a few minutes drive. Also Limahuli Gardens, Princeville Ranch Stables, Kayaking, and during the summer Napali Boat Trips.

be sure to book well ahead to get what you want.

There are plenty of other great places to stay, these happen to be what we actually used.....both were great. This was not just one quick visit to kauai, this was over 12 years of visits.

Another great spot, where we have visited , but not stayed is the Hanalei Bay Resort.....rates a SUPER WOW ! One of these days.......Oh yes !

We were just talking a couple of days ago, and next year, it does not look a long vacation off island is possible. So, we are planning to do shorter mini vacations.

Our North Shore, here, as well as renting a cabin up in kokee for a couple of days.

Also, a dive trip,and to visit close friends on the Big Island, possibly in february. Maybe 4 days on that one.

Swaping out different islands when visiting from the mainland for a short period, like a week, we kinda think that too much time is spent in traveling and moving out, and moving in, etc. Our opinion only.

We have done that once , but had a week on the BI, and 9 days on Kauai ( and actually split NORTH and SOUTH shores on that one.)

As Dave mentioned, spliting the north and south shores of Kauai really is doable and a great idea.

Denny

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Split trip, north and south??

Thanks!! I appreciate your help!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split trip, north and south??

We are going to try the split ( one week South and one week North) in 16 days. We are spending our first week at Kuhio Shores in Poipu and one week at Sealodge in Princeville. Stay tuned.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split trip, north and south??

Lat year we split our time between the north and the south and it worked out great for us. We wanted to minimize driving (and especially wanted to minimize driving through Kapaa/Lihue). We did all of our north shore activities from our Hanalei base and all the south and west island activities from the southern base. Only problem, really, was packing up and leaving the north because we love it there so much. There was a brief period of wondering what we could have been thinking----why would we ever leave Hanalei when it still wasn't time to leave Kauai. But once we got rolling we were fine. It actually felt like two separate vacations.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,868 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split trip, north and south??

If I had 14 days, I would visit TWO islands.....

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split trip, north and south??

Actually, that's what we did on our first two trips. First trip was to Maui and Kauai. Last year we wnt to the Big Island and again to Kauai. Next trip we'll probably jut go to Kauai. I'm not drawn to Oahu or Molokai and as much as we enjoyed Maui and BI, aren't really drawn to return. There's still a lot we haven't gotten around to seeing or doing on Kauai.

Last year we went to BI first, but still split our time between staying in the north and south on Kauai.

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
230 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Split trip, north and south??

We split a 13 night trip between north and south and loved it. For the south portion, we stayed in a 2 BR cottage in Koloa called Turtles Nest that we rented through pbvacationrentals.com. They were great to work with and I loved the house. It wasn't fancy but the view was amazing and the price was extremely reasonable.

If you are into snorkeling, Hanalei and Haena are great places up north since they are close to Kee and Tunnels.

Kauai was amazing.

NYC
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split trip, north and south??

Does anyone have an opinion on whether 2 weeks on Kauai is too long a stay on one island?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Split trip, north and south??

You could easily keep busy for a month here. Plenty to do, including lots of great beaches to explore, some that you may have all to yourself much of the time.

ccchick, I'd split the time.