We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trick question for locals ???

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trick question for locals ???

We have gone on vacation and have gone to Walmart and bought a strret map for $5 and this helps a lot. My son lives in GA and we did this to be able to get around on our own and it works out great. Do you have such a map available?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trick question for locals ???

The airlines give you great maps to Kauai while you are flying over. This has been all I've ever needed. I did buy an awesome book map of all of the Hawaiian Islands last June at the ABC store in Kapaa. But the map that Hawaiian airlines and our rental company gave us was great!

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trick question for locals ???

Does it have the dirt roads off the beaten path?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trick question for locals ???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is a street map that you can buy at many stores here on Kaua'i -- they are kind of a like a big paperback book -- the ones that I see most commonly are sold at "Ace Hardware" on Rice Street up at the check-out. Be aware, there are so very many new developments coming in that anything you buy will be outdated and not have the new developments listed. With new streets and construction projects starting every week, there simply isn't anyway to keep up with it!

But at least it would be a starting point for you.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trick question for locals ???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you are looking for topographical maps showing all the dirt roads, you would need to get that from the DLNR or up at the Koke'e Museum -- the other ones show some dirt roads, but most of those roads are now paved and in subdivisions.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trick question for locals ???

"The Ready Mapbook of Kauai" is very detailed. It is terrific with back roads, creeks, rivers, camps, beaches, various facilities and buildings, etc. Pretty sure this is the same one koloagirl writes about. It is available on island at Ace Hardware store checkout counters for sure and likely the WalMart in Lihue. Mine cost $5.00.

If your son hikes in Kauai, this site might be very useful to him.

www.hawaiitrails.org/island.asp?island=Kauai

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trick question for locals ???

You might not need anything beyond what the car rental agency hands you with their Drive Guide. Also the "This Week" and other free visitor publications have a good handle on our simple roads to most of the attractions

If you really plan to get off the beaten path, the Ready Map is probably the easiest map book to buy with detailed roads in the residential districts and other roads not noted on the visitor publications.

Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trick question for locals ???

Is it just me or does Koloagirl have the answers to all our questions?? Everytime ...

Hey Koloagirl ... I have to say that your posts are something I look forward to. Every time you post, you have the most terrific insigight & useful information to the place most of us are dreaming about. I truly value your opinion and I know that all of us do ... even the ghosters.

I thank you for your time & your sweet way of talkin'!

Bit off topic I guess, but I know there are tons of people who agree with me.

You can bet George & I will be attending the torch lighting show you host (probably the beginning of November) ... if only to say hi to someone who truly loves their little spot in the world.

That's it.

Aloha, Lea

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trick question for locals ???

What is the "Trick Question" ?

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trick question for locals ???

Hey Bud, I was wondering the same thing...maybe cuz we aren't locals we don't get the trick?

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trick question for locals ???

so bud & cat I guess the heading got you to click on it :)