We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Question

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Question

Aloha Kauai Experts,

I will be arriving at on 9/24/2007 and departing on 9/28. Will be staying at ResortQuest Islander, KAPAA.

My question is, on the 28th, my flight to Honolulu is at 9:30 AM. In order to check-out of the hotel, return my rental car, go thu security etc and hop on the plane, what time should I plan on leaving the hotel?

Or

Does it make sense to return the car on the 27th (prev evening), get back to the hotel in a cab/shuttle and do the same for next day?

How much would a cab/shuttle cost me?

Any ideas/thoughts.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Question

7 a.m. for the 15-minute drive to the airport from RQI. You can get a bite of breakfast at Lihue Airport's little cafeteria.

Shuttle would be about $20 plus tip. Best schedule when you first arrive on island and reconfirm the night before you leave.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Question

I'm not understanding why you would want to return your car early and take a cab/shuttle back to your hotel and again back to the airport.

Why not just check out of the hotel at around 7:30 a.m., fill up your gas tank, drive to the car rental return, getting there around 8:00 a.m. where it takes only a few minutes wrap up your rental and put your bags and yourself on the courtesy shuttle which should get you to the terminal at around 8:15 a.m., then put your bags through Agricultural inspection and then check in yourself and go through security and on to the gates. You'll be sitting at the gate by 8:30 a.m., give or take a little due to unknown events, such as longer lines or problems.

Some car rental returns are quick and easy, some are a bit more of a hassle. If you're worried, just leave a little earlier.

Chandler
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Question

We stayed in Kapaa and had an 8:30 am departure. We put gas in the rental car the night before and left for the airport at 6:45 am. We had tons of time and never felt rushed.

Hubby dropped me at the curb with the luggage and then went across to return the car to Hertz. They dropped him back at the curb in about 10 minutes. We sent our luggage the checks and there was no line at security to get to the gate.

With our extra time, we ate breakfast in the cafeteria -- although a bit expensive, it hit the spot.

The airport is small and doesn't seem to take much time to get through. Our flight was a little earlier than yours so maybe that's why we didn't have any delays.

I would defniitely NOT do a cab/shuttle.

4. Re: Car Rental Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 16:16