We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

San Jose
Level Contributor
41 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

Hi ,

arriiving at Lihue on Oct 19. forecast says its raining all week... what a bummer. any suggestions to what to do to beat the rain blues :-(

thanks

Bonsall, Ca
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

Aloha! We have been here three days now and it rained yesterday. Today was beautiful. Bring a great rain jacket and rain pants! Also, my husband has waterproof hiking boot and I waterproofed mine and our feet stayed nice and dry! We say go about your plans all the same and save the beach days for when you see the sun shine!

Baron and Karen

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

poured on the north shore yest. not a drop on us. it really varies by location.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

I wouldn't worry too much if you looked at weather.com. They're notoriously unreliable when it comes to the islands. Try here:

http://hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php

As someone said, it's unusual to get steady rain. Most likely you'll get isolated, small trade showers that move through pretty quickly, and there's a good chance that it won't be raining at all right down the road.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

wunderground.com/weatherstation/…

I see it did not rain in Lihue/Kapaa last night or so far this morning...copy and paste the above to web address line to keep score. Enter zip codes in the box if you want to view Princeville or Poipu weather.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,999 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

We haven't had a drop of rain (except a couple of passing showers during the night) for a couple of days now here on the South Shore.

It has been almost completely dry and sunny on the West Side.

My husband works in Lihu'e and it has been very much passing showers - sun - all week. It has never been raining all day on any day this week. I walked over at Kalapaki Beach a couple of days ago in the a.m. and it was beautiful.

Don't be deceived by the mainland weather forecasts -- it almost never rains all day here - and if you are unhappy with the weather where you are at the moment - simply drive South or West to get to sunny weather.

Nothing in the local forecast makes me think we are going to be having more rain than normal in the next week.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

I agree with Koloagirl...it's always raining somewhere and always not raining somewhere..almost all the time. I camped in Polahale State Park for (ahem... let's say longer than I was supposed too a while back)...no rain...in like...a month. Yet one time I got off the plane in Lihue...poured before I got to the terminal...went inside...rain stopped...went to get my rental car...poured again...drove to town it threatened...that's when I discovered that if I stayed inside it always stopped raining :) We used to sell rain insurance to the tourists...made a kill'n because we gaurenteed it would only rain every other day...so if it rained we'd just tall them they got there on the wrong day...should have waited until tomorrow. [See my post on Trip Report for 10/05 -10/13].

Ixtlan22

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

we are just back from Poipu on Tues night. It rained every day. But typical Hawaii rain comes down sun comes out. a couple of time it rained during night. we are by no means experts there but in 10 fall weeks over a few years in Hawaii, we have had two days where it rained so bad we had to stay in. We do try to avoid the north shore. for overnights. but last two time we were there it was nice on north shore.

Not sure what forecasts said.

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
612 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

The Maui forum always gave this website to check weather...seems more accurate than some of the other weather sites.

www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php…

9. Re: Is it raining in Lihue/ Kapaa all this week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 20:19