We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

I've been to Kauai 3 times before and only stayed once at Poipu ( at the Sheraton). I was thinking of going back to stay at either the Marriott or Grand Hyatt in Poipu. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Pasadena
Level Contributor
624 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

Our family always stays at the Hyatt. We started out here because of the pools and the slide (our son was 10 the first visit, he's 16 now). So, that was the initial reason.

That first year we had spent a week at the Grand Waiilea on Maui. Then we flew to Kauai (breathtaking...we all thought it was like one giant Road to Hana island!!). Anyway, the Hyatt was so gorgeous, but after all the slides etc at the Grand , I thought our son would feel kinda 'letdown'. But, it was the opposite....he loved the private "islands", the lagoon where he could snorkel and when he found that sunken anchor..wow!

When it came time to plan our next trip, the family decided we had to back to that beautiful island we discovered, and back to the Hyatt. I love driving down the Tree Tunnel, seeing the cows in the green pastures. Then when we pull up and step into the lobby with that beautiful ocean framed so perfectly...it's just always that feeling awe. Never gets old.

We've toured the Marriott, have gone to Duke's for snacks and drinks. No doubt, it is gorgeous as well. Never have seen a room, so can't comment on that. But, even as opulent as the pool area is, I just prefer the layout of the Hyatt's grounds. But, hey, it's Kauai....it's all good!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live here in the Po'ipu Beach area and between the two properties that you mention -- my personal choice would be the Grand Hyatt Kaua'i -- it is one of the two luxury hotel properties on the island and is very "Hawaiian" in theme -- it is on a beautiful, long beach (which is however, not swimmable) and has several fantasy pools - it also has several well reviewed restaurants and it is also located at the very eastern end of Po'ipu Road - well away from all of the construction activity. Although it is large, it isn't so large that you are overwhelmed by it - it is very easy to navigate around and has lovely walking paths along the ocean.

The Marriot Waiohai Beach Club is primarily a time share property --they do have a certain amount of hotel rooms, but they are very limited. It is a beautiful property situated on Po'ipu Beach, which is generally swimmable. It has one average size pool and a cafe.

It is a lovely property - just not the "luxury" property that the Hyatt is. It is also much closer to all of the construction areas of Po'ipu - I doubt you would have any impact as far as noise there, but you would run right into it when you depart the property itself.

Both properties are excellent - very different from each other. Just depends on what you are looking for!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Malama Pono,

Janet

Pasadena
Level Contributor
624 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

Ooops...just wanted to write that I guess I misunderstood which Marriott the Noelle was inquiring about. I just asumed it was the one near Nawiliwili Harbor.

:-) Bobbi

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

Personally I would go for the Marriott - I prefer a condo over a hotel and the each there is one of the best - at the Hyatt the beach is not swimmable. I was very impressed with the Marriott when we went and had breakfast there. Actually my boss stayed there last Decemeber and thought it was the best. I had my friend that lives on the island make lei's for my boss and his wife and she dropped them off at the desk with their names and sure enough they recieved them the minute they checked in!

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't realize the Hyatt was on a non swimmable beach.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

<<Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't realize the Hyatt was on a non swimmable beach.

Noelle, people do swim there(Hyatt) but it is not recommended. There are surfers out there but the waters are rough - I believe it is more the "locals" that surf there.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,642 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

Actually there are two Marriotts, there is the Marriott Waouhai (sp?) down on Poipu, which is primarily timeshares, mostly two bedroom. Then there is the Marriott Vacation Club on Kalapaki Beach next to the harbor, that is half timeshare and half hotel (although I think you can rent some of the timeshare units). The Lihue Marriott is the one with a great pool although not as great as the Hyatt, and the hotel where Duke's restaurant is located.

If I could afford it, and did not already own a timeshare at Lihue Marriott, I would choose the Hyatt. It is a beautiful property.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

BOTH great properties. All depends on what rocks your boat. The difs:

Hyatt = Luxurious , lush grounds. Large, tropical lagoon style pools, non-swimming beach (rough, rough shorebreak. Mostly experienced locals surfing and body-boarding. Kids? No way), huge property on 55 acres, rooms spread out, can involve some walking, lovely common areas. Pretty much have to drive to other things, shopping, restaurants but nice concrete walkway over towards Brennecke's Beach , about a 15-20 minute walk, great restaurant selection, spas, etc.

Marriott = Convenience of new, beautiful 2-bedroom condos with kitchens, located directly on Poipu Beach, snorkeling, swimming, can easily walk to all sections of Poipu Beach - Brennecke's, Poipu, Kiahuna Beach ,. Sheraton Beach, walking distance to Brennecke's Broiler, Sheraton restaurants, Poipu Shopping Village shops and restaurants, 2 nice pools, though smaller than the Hyatt's pools, pool tiki bar oceanside.

I don't know......depends on what you're looking for. As far as Hawaiian-themed? Well, they're both nice properties but I wouldn't call any luxury resort there "Hawaiian-themed". Can't imagine the Hawaiians living like this. Both great places. Depends on what YOU are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Brennecke's Beach
Brennecke's Beach
127 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kiahuna Beach
Kiahuna Beach
5 Reviews
Kauai, HI
denver, CO
Level Contributor
475 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

The Marriott Waiohai in Poipu rents both hotel-type rooms (2 p) AND 2 bed "villas" (up to 6 person )---the latter with a full kitchen, and 2 baths. You can book through Marriott or a timeshare rental website (better deals)....the cost for dining and staying at the Marriott is going to be more reasonable than the Hyatt and if you want more space than just a single room--- the Marriott is it.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which poipu hotel: marriot or grand hyatt?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Napaguy" -- Hawaiian themed means in this case:

"The architecture is classic 1920's Hawaiian."

I'm not referring to ancient pili grass huts! The architecture is more reflective of classic plantation architecture of Hawai'i than other resorts such as the Marriot Kalapaki, Marriot Waiohai or Princeville Hotel.

Malama Pono,

Janet