We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested road trip options

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested road trip options

Thinking of flying to Kauai from Oahu for 1 day during our 7 day stay on Oahu in April. Would rent a car in Kauai. Any suggestions on a great day road trip? Traveling with almost 2 year old. Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested road trip options

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well our island is pretty small, so a "road trip" is going to be pretty limited!

I'd say to concentrate on either the North Shore area or the South or West sides of the island -- that way you won't be just sitting in a car all day doing nothing but watching the sites fly by your car.

Personally I think it would be fun to go to the North Shore -- there are lots of lovely beaches, and Hanalei Town is fun for walking around and shopping or eating -- it is the most dramatically tropical of any part of the island and most people seem to be looking for that. The Kilauea Wildlife Refuge is also a wonderful place up to watch frigate birds, layasan albatross and other seabirds in their natural habitat - they have a lovely little museum as well.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,327 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested road trip options

Either that or Waimea Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested road trip options

i'd do waimea canyon....the na pali coast section of kauai is definately more spectacular than the north shore of oahu, but that's only seen by sea or air (or partially from the top of the road via waimea canyon).

the driveable part of the north shore of kauai isn't much different from the north shore of oahu, really.

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested road trip options

I'm going to throw a vote for koloagirl's suggestion. While Waimea Canyon is gorgeous and the west side is very scenic, the north side of Kauai takes that to a new level, which I rate as unmissable. Don't get me wrong -- the south/west are great -- but if you miss the north side, you'll miss the most beautiful and magical part of the island. ..ymmv..

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,164 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested road trip options

Waimea Canyon is the most scenic area on Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested road trip options

pbz,

i don't know if you've ever been to oahu or not, but the driveable part of the north shore of kauai is really no different than the drive along the north and northeast parts of oahu (minus the one lane bridges).

if they were going to get to see the na pali coast by driving the north shore of kauai, then i'd say go for it. but they won't.

waimea is truly unique (as is na pali, but you can't see that from a car). plus, if you drive to the lookout at the top of the drive through waimea, you'll get a great look at the na pali coast.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested road trip options

If you want to see beautiful lush green mountains with many waterfalls go north..If you want to see the inner lands and valleys of Kauai go west to Waimea Canyon.

I don't know how long your 1 day is, if you like to drive you can do both of these as long as you start early in the morning...

From west Waimea Canyon to north Hanalei is approx 110 miles.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested road trip options

Oregonian: I don't know if you've ever been to the southwestern US (where the original poster is from) but in my humble opinion the west of Kauai is likely to bear quite a lot of resemblance to home. Whereas the north side of Kauai will be more fantastic. As I said: *YMMV*. Yes Waimea canyon is nice but there is nothing like the views of pretty much the entire north side of the island, from Kilauea, to Hanalei and west to the 'end of the road'. If I had time I'd do them both but if I only had time for one, sorry, I'm going north, Koloagirl is right, end of story.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,849 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kilauea
Kilauea
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
9. Re: Suggested road trip options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 07:18