We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli Beach Resort

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
200 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Waipouli Beach Resort

Thinking about staying at WBR while in Kauai this summer... I have read some not so stellar reviews and would like to hear from others who may have stayed here. One thing that particularly concerned me was that one reviewer said that if you rent through an owner, the staff treats you poorly. Has anyone else had this same experience? We were going to rent through an owner because you can pick what you want and it seems cheaper than through Outrigger. Also, many say the area is pretty run down - so I'm wondering about general safety. Any info. you can provide would be helpful. Thanks to all!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

the waipoli resort is directly across the road from a large shopping center with plenty of traffic.

However, you can walk across the road from the resort to safeway and other stores.

As far as safety, you should be ok, as long as you pay attention, and think a bit about what you are doing, and where you are going.

Last year a 60 plus yr old visitor, walking with groceries was attacked from behind by a fellow with a skate board, and beaten. That is the only incident that I have heard or read about, so pretty isolated situation.

Denny

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,793 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

I wouldn't call the WBR area run down. It's on the small commercial strip in Kapa`a with some little strip malls, but nothing's really bad, certainly not seedy or decrepit. It's not a manicured resort area, although the resort itself is quite nice.

From everything I know about this island the attack incident Denny mentions is really an anomaly. Sounds like a kid on a power trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

I skimmed a few of the reviews and they seem reasonable. I've no doubt a unit fronting on the highway would be noisy and not so pleasant. It's barely 50 yards to a busy street from some of those lanai. On the other hand, a unit overlooking the pool or in the buildings by the sea would be a very different experience. You get what you pay for! Che ck the location of your unit carefully!!

It is not NOT a full service resort. The bar is indeed a disappointing rip off based on 2 visits. The little snack bar could hardly be called a restaurant. But you can walk 200 yards out the front entrance and have about 10 restaurant choices at more reasonable prices than any resort.

Outrigger is running a hotel operation for the units they manage. If you are renting directly from an owner you really can't expect Outrigger to work for you. You need to sort cleaning etc with the owner directly.

These are large well appointed condos at 65% the price of an ordinary room in the Hyatt. If people are expecting the same services with that cost differential, they are being unrealistic.

As for safety. Kapaa is fine. No better/worse than any place on the island. Traffic can be a pig occasionally. I waited 20 minutes to get from a backup on the bypass roughly equal in distance from the junction as the WBR to the bridge this week. That's a little worse than the usual afternoon commute traffic. I have a very hard time believing it took anyone 80 minutes from the WBR to the airport as one reviewer said. That would be extreme.

Kapaa's beaches are generally pretty crappy compared to Hanalei Bay or by the Sheraton. The Hyatt's is no prize for swimmers either though either. So again, you have to balance your various interests with your budget.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

On the issue of Outrigger treating you poorly if you rented directly from an owner. Here's a little insight. First, all condo developments are set up where the owner chooses who they want to manage their property. Or, if they want to self-manage it entirely. That is normal. But Outrigger seems to like to play hardball with condo associations. From what I've heard from many owners and other managers, they prefer to have entire developments locked up under their management. Their thinking is that they run the front desk and concierge operations and even though a renter may not have rented through them, the renters are still coming to them for services at the front desk area. What I have heard is that at Waipouli they are trying to initiate daily fees for those staying there but not renting through them. It hasn't gone over too well. This is what I'm hearing from a couple of owners there who use other than Outrigger for their units. You should be just fine if you keep in mind that the Outrigger staff there are not collecting any of the proceeds for your rental and therefore are not obligated to provide services to you. Make sure you have a complete understanding from your owner of what you can expect.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
119 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

I can't speak to the service issue for non-Outrigger rentals, but we're staying here for 5 nights in June, 2008. After looking pretty hard at VRBOs, I compared to the published prices. It's not easy to find, but there's actually a AAA rate on the Outrigger site. If you have AAA, that rate is quite competitive with what I found on VRBOs - at least, close enough where it made the decision to just go with Outrigger quite easy.

Good luck,

Chris

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
200 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

Thanks for everyone's input. I think we'll have to do some comparison shopping to see if we can't get a better deal maybe through Outrigger. I really think the property itself would suit us best during our stay, although we will be venturing out and about on the island quite a bit. Many say the location is great to reach both the North and South sides of the island. We'll see what we can get. I'm sure we'll have a great time no matter what. I guess I just got a little nervous about the last few reviews even though no one else had mentioned being treated poorly for not renting through Outrigger. Thanks again!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

Once again, it's hard to say what was behind those comments you heard or read about people being treated poorly by Outrigger (if they had not rented through them).

It COULD very well be a situation where , despite the fact that they rented through the owner vs. Outrigger, they expected all kinds of service and responses from the Outrigger staff. If so, there was miscommunication between them and the owner of their unit. I can't quite fault Outrigger for not catering to renters that are not THEIR renters. These cases CAN be confusing to the vacationers. They rent directly from an owner and presume that the staff they see on-property is there for them too. Depending on the deal the owners have swung, you could get limited to no service other than from your owner or their on-island reps., if any.

So it's good to have it firmly laid out with the owner and know what/what not, to expect.

austin
Level Contributor
23 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

hmmm, i am renting thru Costco travel for a trip in March...wonder how the management will treat me?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

Previous poster wrote:

hmmm, i am renting thru Costco travel for a trip in March...wonder how the management will treat me?

I'm sure Costco's deal was made with Outrigger (the main management) versus individual private owners. You most likely will be one of Outrigger's customers then.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort

I think a lot of times a person's attitude is the problem when dealing with staff. If you approach someone with respect and friendliness you might get the same in return.