We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th anniversary

St. Louis
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
25th anniversary

I am looking for some help. We are planning our 1st trip to the islands. We want to spend time on Kauai and Maui. I am looking for recommendations on length of stay and accomondations. I am leaning towards a resort. I have looked into the Sheraton and the Marriott. Does anyone have other ideas. Also, I am looking for tour and snorkeling recommendations. Thanks

kauai
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 25th anniversary

princeville.com is by far the best resort. great snorkeling too. the north shore rocks!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25th anniversary

Dear Beachman:

I think either choice would be fine. Obviously, both have pros and cons, which may help you decide. Personally, I have researched both of these hotels for my honeymoon in October. I am going with the Mariott. I'm guessing we're in the same price range, $200 to $300 a night.

I read so much about the negative atmosphere at the Sheraton's Garden wing, which is the affordable wing. Also, the beach is the best on the island, but you have to walk across a street and through the entire resort to get there.

I chose the Mariott after realizing that almost all the rooms were the same style and distance from the beach, so we wouldn't feel like we were getting the bum location of a resort (if there is such a thing). The beach there is not great, but decent. The thing is all beaches in Kauai are open to the public. So, we can stay at the Mariott and go to any beach we want to. I checked out the grounds and gardens and atmosphere at both the Sheraton and Mariott. Both are very nice, but I thought the grounds at the Mariott and the entryway with the koi pond and huge columns was breathtaking. The Mariott's rooms are about 100 square feet larger. Also, the Mariott's pool, hot tub areas and layout are dynamite. I thought it would feel more like a wonderful resort atmosphere at the Mariott than in the garden wing of the Sheraton.

You'll find enough reviews, pros and cons about both resorts on this Web site to last a long time. I weighed the pros and cons and chose the Mariott.

Also, if you apply for a Starwood Preferred Guests card (Sheraton) or a Visa Mariott Rewards credit card (Mariott) you'll save some money and get points for future vacations. With a rewards card and promotion code for rewards members I should get a room at the Mariott for $200 a night and then automatic upgrade because I'm a honeymooner. It should save me $500 for the week compared to what I found on Expedia.com Good luck

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25th anniversary

I should have specified the Kauai Mariott Resort and Beach Club on Lihue, not the courtyard

Northern California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 25th anniversary

Have you thought about the Hyatt? http://kauai.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

We've not been there, but now I'm wishing we'd booked one night there on our stay in 3 weeks! It looks dreamy!

I've only been to Maui for a few days, but have spent a week in Kauai before. I liked Maui, but my heart belongs in Kauai. It is peace like I've never experienced before. I recommend to stay in Kauai as long as you can. The last time I was there was '89 and we took Captain Zodiac to the Na Pali coast, which was fantastic. Things have changed a lot since then, and this time we plan on taking the Na Pali catamaran as it leaves from Princeville. Both trips include snorkeling.

Happy planning!

Northern California
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 25th anniversary

And I wanted to add that when I was there in '89, I did stay at the Marriott (it was a Westin back then). It was a beautiful property. It's my understanding that they've made some changes to make it a little less "gaudy" since Marriott took over, but I'm sure it's still great. And there is a Duke's right there which is another plus!

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 25th anniversary

I just read all the responses to staying at the Marriott, and I was wondering if you are refering to the Marriott Kaua'i Beach Club or the Waiohia (spelling ?)

I'm taking our family and our mother-n-law there at the end of September and was told that the Waiohia was a better place if you have kids. We have a 10 year old and a 1 year old. We have a 2 bedroom villa. Do you have any comments on that place? Someone said that the beaches weren't great and I was told that the Waiohia had a great beach. Does anyone have any information on this resort and also the weather at the time we are going? Does it rain alot and are the nights very cold? Lots of questions I know but......we've never been there and would like some info. Thanks

michigan
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 25th anniversary

The waiohai is an excellent choice for your family. The grounds and pools are very nice. They have a nice little playground for the kids and the beach there is very family friendly and swimmable. We stayed there May 2005. Plus they have washer & dryer so there is less packing.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 25th anniversary

Aloha beachman :)

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!! :-)

I did quite a bit of reserch on the same thing before I went in April on my first visit to the island and found that the Hyatt Regency Kaui was the best choice for us. You can get a great rate by using their Elite Stay Certificates that you can purchase on their web site (Glowbug posted it on an earlier post). You get a garden view room at the Hyatt Kauai for $249.00/night but, in my case and a few others I have heard of on this site, they may upgrade you to a partial or full ocean view room. They upgraded me to a deluxe full ocean view room overlooking Shipwreck Beach. It was very nice and the grounds and pools are absolutely AWESOME! I have some pictures of the grounds on my online photo album if you would like to take a look at: http://www.need2go.myphotoalbum.com

If you want to learn a bit more about the Elite Stay Certificates this is a link to the thread that I saw earlier this year:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k76280…

I am sure you will have a great time on the island whichever place you decide to stay!! Kauai is an absolutely magical place! :) I can't wait until I can go back again!!!

Aloha :-)

Dan

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 25th anniversary

Thank you for replying ....how was the food at the Resort? Does it cost for parking, and is the resort located near shopping and other places to eat? Do you have any other information you can pass on like do's and don'ts? How about the weather is September....anyone know how it is?

Thanks

Va-cationer

michigan
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 25th anniversary

There is no charge for parking at the Waiohai. There is a shopping center about 1 mile from the resort that has keoki's paradise, roy's and puka dog (rated top ten in world for a dog) there along with shops for souvenirs, etc. If you are thinking about eating mexican (listed in UKGB) at "the crack" as referred to by locals for mexican...DO NOT. It's terrib However, in Koloa town attached to Sueoki's is a snack window which has good & cheap burgers.