We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kauai trip

turlock, ca
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
kauai trip

hey, just got back from our kauai trip. thanks so much for all your input... just wanted to let you know of our experience.

1. secret beach-just awesome (did not get to visit the left side of it as that ultimate kauai book recommends, somehow we miss it)

2. queen bath-really neat. hike down there was slippery, yes, there is a little hike down on a muddy path.... be careful...

it's good to have a pair of water shoes as well for the pool..

no fin is needed.

got to see several different kinds of fish....

3. kealia beach in the east-a good place to boogie board and surf... went back 3 times...

4. hanalei bay-waioli beach area-just wonderful.... go out several hundred yards, still the water comes to one's chest, i am not that tall at all.... perfect for swimming and playing.

there is an area where little kids can (and there were) play in the east side...

i would have come back daily if i were staying in the north side instead of poipu area. just this alone, i would stay in the north

the next time.

5. hiked nu'alolo trail and a little bit of cliff trail and returned back down the same way. our original plan was to do nu-alolo trail (from Koke' lodge) and to the cliff trail and come down to awa-awapuhi trail. a total of 9 mile trails. but did not. as soon as we started off on the cliff trail(the second part of the hiking) it got way too dangerous, the scenery was just out of this world though. same thing from going to lolo vista point from nualolo trail. just did not think it was worth risking our lives; we had a 9 year old, a 12 year old, a 14 year old, and a 16 year old...

the hike was considered streneous, but we were able to do the round trip of almost 8 miles in 3 1/2 hours....

just make sure you take enough water, we took 3 bottles (16.9 oz) for each person and that was just enough for us. there were some people laying around couldn't make the return trip, dehydrated, so someone from that group had to go down to fetch water for that poor guy...

the scenery from KoKe lodge lookout point is not to be missed... it is absolutely breathtaking....

couldn't imagine anything more beautiful than what i have witnessed.

6.kipu falls-did not jump off. one of my sons got 30 some mosquito bites within few minutes there waiting to jump off...

there were lines... he has forgotten to put his rashguard and no insect repellent.....

7.ferns grotto/river boat-i am not sure $20 is worth it, with a coupon $18.... if one has nothing better to do, go ahead.

river ride is nothing to do write home about.

8.tunnels beach-parking is a real problem... parked at haena state park... the sand was so hot, burned our toes walking over to the tunnels... tunnels beach-not a sandy bottom, very rocky, gotten a lot of cuts all over the legs.... saw some fish and some turtles...

9.kee beach-problems in finding a parking space... so decided to skp it...have to go real early. it's hard if one is staying in the south.

10.checked out all these beaches:haena beach, tunnels, waioli beach, kalihiwai beach, secret beach, moloa bay, aliomanu beach,hanamaulu bay, kalpaki beach, shipwreck beach, brennecke beach, kiahuna beach,, lawai beach, lydsgate, salt pond beach and poipu beach

11. sprouting horn-little interesting, save it for a day when you don't want to do anything.

12. swinging bridge in Hanapepe-have nothing to do thing and happens to pass by, do so.

13. wailua falls-nothing out of ordinary

14. marriot on poipu-not a luxurious accomodation, but right on poipu beach. i would stay here if i want to be right on the beach in poipu area, oceanfront....where the swimming pool is right outside of one's door and if i want a condo like setting...

so much more to share, but got to get some z's....

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kauai trip

Thanks for the info! How did you like Moloa'a Bay? We almost stayed at a cottage on that beach and the pictures of the beach looked nice.

columbus.ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kauai trip

Thanks for the trip report healthy. My wife and I will be in Kauai in late July. This forum and the trip reports have been a big help in planning our time while in Hawaii. How early in the morning would you recommend being at Tunnels and Kee to avoid the parking problem?

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kauai trip

Thanks for the comments on the hiking trails - we're planning to do the same loop in Sept. How was it dangerous - was it just too dangerous for the kids, or you were worried about yourself as well?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kauai trip

Thanks for the update. You're right, the swinging bridge at Hanapepe isn't that exciting, unless you are taking a stroll along the river trail there. There is a much larger, higher suspension bridge in Waimea, up Menehune Rd on the edge of town, where the tour buses turn up to show the Menehune Ditch.

Also, Wailua Falls isn't much to just look at from the lookout, but hiking to the base is an adventure! We plan to do that this trip, if possible. Last time we attempted it, it was too slippery.

The Fern Grotto boat trip is the stereotypical touristy thing to do, but we enjoy the gentle cruise up. We just go in with the "touristy" attitude and combine it with the Luau, all in one afternoon/evening. It works out if you take the last boat trip of the day and then walk the grounds before the luau starts. Fun as long as you go in with that attitude.

2 days until we arrive... pretty soon I'll be counting the hours! :-)

Bloomington, IN
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: kauai trip

dfish:

In reply: We got back from Kauai on Saturday--last Saturday was at Tunnells/Ke'e beaches and arrived there about 8-9:00 a.m. Was not a problem finding parking. Then moved closer to Kalalua trailhead around 11:00 a.m. still no problem with parking. But when we left people were just arriving and they were having trouble with parking. D.

turlock, ca
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: kauai trip

ashley24

sorry for responding so late. had out of town visitors w/i 10 hours upon our arrival.... so been very busy and tired....

well, visited moloa beach because it was "gem", but i guess it was not something out of ordinary because i did not mark anything on my book.... i don't think it was a play beach either cuz my kids did not even come out of the car...

sorry i couldn't be any more help....

just have to remember what you want to do at the beach, when you get a beachfront lodging....

turlock, ca
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: kauai trip

blueflamingo,

apologize for not responding any earlier.

as far as the hiking is concerned, i just did not feel safe for myself nor for my kids at that cliff trail from the nua'lolo

side. not only was the path very narrow, but the edge of the cliff was straight 90 degrees or it seemed, and the mountain side was loose rock/dirt formation with nothing to hold on to. actually, when i touched it, loose dirt were coming off....

even the path was made up of loose dirt. and because

the path was curvy, i couldn't foresee how long this trail in this condition continued on... so decided against it...

talked somepeople who came up from the other path and gotten different responses. some said it was like that for 1/4 mile, some said about a mile.. even for 1/4 of a mile, i just couldn't foresee myself doing it with my 4 kids....

on other hand, my husband said let's do it, it's not that bad...

i am more the adventurous one though...

my kids were scared to death on that particular segment of the

trail and to the starting point to lolo point. i've thought it was scary too. the path was loose gravel, and not flat, but sloped to the edge with the raised center. and of course, the path was narrow as well....

but a handful of people did come through that day...

i guess it is a judgement call....

good luck.

turlock, ca
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: kauai trip

otheradvices if i may.

fruits are very expensive. some are double/triple the price of california...

make sure you buy tons of water at walmart before heading out to your lodging.

be aware of restraunt hours-some close for certain days, many

are closed between certain hours.... you would think they would be open all hours being in the tourists area and all...-

Kealia beach-no bathroom

as like many beaches.....

hyatt-beatuiful ground, nice areas for the kids to play:waterslide and manmade river like pool where you can kayak..., beach access not very good... rocky...

Shipwreck-too dangerous or a family

Brenneke-a very small beach, never seen a beach that small.

but a good place to boogie board....

families-make sure to wear rashguards. my whole family wore it almost all the time.... walmart sells'em. very reasonable....

watershoes is a must for some beaches......

got to go...

Kent, WA
Level Contributor
372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kauai trip

healthy, Where did you buy fruit that was expensive? I've always found super deals at the local farmer's markets, unless you're talking about fruit not grown on the island. Thanks for the info, Harry