We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Kapili?

Champaign-Urbana...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu Kapili?

My fiance and I are staying on Kauai during our honeymoon (the first week in June). From my research, it sounds like the North Shore is better during this time due to the gorgeous views (although I know Kauai is beautiful everywhere).

The problem: we're having trouble finding a place to stay. I'm most interested in Poipu Kapili at this point, but a few things I'm concerned about:

1. On the South Shore (which is fine)

2. Possible construction diverting traffic to road in front of resort?

3. Looking at an ariel view on wizardpub.com, the resort looks like it's across the street from the beach, and the beach doesn't look all that great...

4. No air conditioning in any of the units?

Can anyone alleviate any of these worries? In general, my fiance and I were looking to stay in a modern place, close to the beach (preferably within walking distance), with air-conditioning, within walking distance of restaraunts. Any suggestions?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Kapili?

I think I would still try to find somewhere on the North shore. AC isn't such an issue up north (those this is a personal opinion - everyone feels very differently about that). I would stay near Hanalei. :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Kapili?

We stayed on Kauai for 2 weeks last summer, one week in Poipu in late June and one week in Haena, in early July. When we stayed in Poipu, we stayed on the golf course. We did not need A/C at all. In fact, it was cool enough to sleep under the covers and turn off the ceiling fans. I was surprised how much hotter and more humid it was on the north shore. We did not have A/C and really did not need it but the celing fans ran all night long and we had to sleep on top of the covers. Luckily, we were right on the ocean otherwise, I'm sure we would have liked A/C. We only really needed A/C once in the 18 years we've been traveling to Kauai and I blame the lack of air flow in the house itself.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Kapili?

BTW, check out the older posts about Poipu Kapili and the contruction. This topic has been talked to death. The contructions is behind the resort but the detour is no longer going in front of Poipu Kapili.

4. Re: Poipu Kapili?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 08:20