We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

My wife and I are going to be arriving in Kauai in 1 month and three days, first trip to any of the Islands. What drink says "yeah, now I'm in Hawaii" to you. Neither my wife or I are big drinkers, however do imbibe a bit of alcohol when on vacation and like to try something we don't find at home. As well what bar or restaurant is the best"...." made.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Where are you staying? We'll be there in 1 month and four days. We arrive on April 5th and we're staying at Nihi Kai Villas.

Can't help you on the drinks, sorry.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Most folks like Mai Tai's - they do vary from place to place. We get in the island mood with Coconut rum and orange pineapple/orange pineapple banana - -

years ago we stayed at Islander on the Beach and the awesome bartender made us a Wicky Wacky Woo - let me tell you after one of those you know why they call it that! It was delicious, gobs of everything in it and very very effective at relieveing any stress you may have brought along - - although I have not a clue as to anywhere else that might offer them.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Not sure where you are staying - I loved a drink called a "wicked wahine" at Calypso's (use to be Zelos) in Hanalei. Mai tais are pretty standard in Hawaii, but what I like to do is have a drink with tropical stuff - my favorite is guava - guava margaritas, guava daquiris, etc. So figure out what fruit you like best, and then have a drink with it. I am not a big drinker, but one here and there with your meal is really wonderful. :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

E Komo Mai ( welcome )

Some of the favorites are:

Lava Flows, and Maitai's

Plus , some of the more resort style bars will have well written descriptions of their popular drinks.

You can sit down, look over the menu, and just order what sounds interesting to you. The bartenders and servers can also help you out.

There will be some tasty treats listed in those bar menus, or sometimes in plastic holders displayed at the bar or on the tables.

You select what you like, as alcoholic drink tastes can vary greatly with each individual. And believe me, you will find drinks that mainland bars never ever heard of.

Denny

Prescott Valley...
Level Contributor
270 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

The LAVA FLOW is very popular, especially for non-drinkers who aren't looking for a strong drink and quick buzz. Those who'd rather just relax with a tasty tropical Hawaiian island drink will like it.

It's generally sweet and fruity... think pina colada, but with strawberrys added (the red "lava")! When blended with ice they taste like a chilled refreshing milkshake... but with a little kick!

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

My favorite is a drink I made up in the condo kitchen. I call it "Poipu Beach Drink". Creative huh?

It's rum mixed with POG (In case you don't know POG is passion, orange and guava juice) and topped of with a splash of Hawaiian Sun iced tea. Make sure you have lots of ice. It's really good and refreshing and ice tea keeps from being too sweet.

If I'm out to dinner I usually order a Mai Tai. The Beach House makes a good one. I also like Keoki's frozen one topped with 151.

PA
Level Contributor
493 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Lava Flow! We get one every time we get to Hawaii. Your question prompted me to add my picture to my profile! I took this pic at the Happy Talk (with my free hand) when we toasted our first Lava Flow of our trip! Do try and make it to the Happy Talk lounge and have a Lava Flow for us!

California
Level Contributor
37,601 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Another vote for lava flow but all it is is a strawberry colada.

If you go to BarAcuda try their Mai Tai. It is excellent.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,118 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Mango Madness at Brennecke's, although it's really more dessert than pre-dinner drink. Has ice cream in it, I believe.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trivial Question: What Drink is a Must when in Kauai

Lava flow all the way!