We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet Tissue

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Toilet Tissue

I knew that would get your attention! :o)

I noticed a comment on the Sealodge reviews today that made me bring up this topic as we had experienced the same thing as this reviewer on our recent trip to Maui.

We stayed two weeks in a condo on Maui. When we arrived there were 6 rolls of toilet tissue. I knew we were in trouble! We ran out on the 5th of 15 days there and ended up buying two packages of 6 rolls while there.

My question is: Do you think when you pay for a condo that there should be enough toilet tissue there to last you the entire stay? I certainly do.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilet Tissue

Wow! You guys use a lot of TP. But what you experienced is pretty common. When we rent condos in Kauai, all the places usually have enough "starter" supplies, but if we stay very long we have to go out and buy more, including things like paper towels, kleenex, etc. It doesn't really bother me, since we never have maid service. Now if I was paying for daily maid service, I would expect clean towels, and all the other stuff provided for the whole trip.

Maybe your owners agree with Sheryl Crowe -- she says we should just use one square per visit.

Near Seattle
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilet Tissue

Our vrbo condo on the Big Island always has a huge supply of toilet tissue, paper towels, laundry detergent, soaps, shampoos, etc. Our condo on Maui only has one roll of toilet tissue in each bathroom. I think it can vary...

We always check out what the condo already has before we buy any supplies.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilet Tissue

Sheryl Crowe must have dirty fingers! lol

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
287 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilet Tissue

The condo I stay in at the Princeville Plantation had a whole lot of tp! They had a lot of everything! We didn't expect it though, it was just a nice touch!

California
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilet Tissue

I can tell you being an owner that there is no way I would stock that much TP for a guest. I just don't have the room as most other condos don't either. Most people start off with the basics. A trip to the store is usually in order. Even when I go over I buy more TP and I own the place. Do you think the condo owner should have coffee, tea bags, laundry soap for 2 weeks, mustard etc as well? Just curious! I think stocking 6 rolls was very generous.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilet Tissue

Our condo owner did stock laundry detergent. There was also soap for the dishwasher and for hand washing dishes. She also stocked tin foil, saran wrap, paper towel, paper napkins, sugar, oil, salt, pepper and a great variety of other spices. There was also a large bottle of body wash in the shower. Some of these items may have been left by previous owners.

I certainly do appreciate spices in a condo. I don't want to bring them from home and I don't want to have to buy all those bottles of spices while on vacation. The tin foil and saran wrap are a nice touch as well.

I guess my point of view is that when I check into a hotel the toilet paper is supplied for the full time I am there. As kimocat mentioned a person does not have maid service in a condo and I never thought of it that way.

It's interesting to read other points of view.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilet Tissue

I was left 2 rolls of TP last month in my condo on Maui, so I went and bought 4 more for $5.00. I also had to buy a wine bottle opener but I brought that home. No big deal to me. When I go to Hawaii I'll spend whatever it takes to have a good time.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toilet Tissue

I'm also an owner of a vacation rental condo here on Kauai, and we leave a roll on the dispenser and two in the drawer nearby. That is plenty to get any guest through until they visit the grocery store.

In a condo situation, aside from the little hospitality starter packets of coffee, creamers, little soaps, detergent, etc., guests usually purchase their own food and supplies.

Things that are usually purchased on a "as needed basis" once the hospitality quantities are gone are... detergent, soap, shampoo, tissues, paper towels, plastic wrap, aluminum foil, paper plates, napkins, salt & pepper, etc., as needed during their stay and often leave other useful stuff behind for the next folks.

The owners can't guess what each guest is going to need, or what brand they might enjoy. It's expected that condo guests will be visiting a store to stock up on food and beverages and other supplies, and so they can purchase disposable items as needed.

As a renter, I'd prefer the limited cupboard space be available for my personal items and food, rather than a huge stock of paper goods.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,559 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toilet Tissue

We rent a house in Poipu. This particular house has always had plenty of TP, paper towels, laundry detergent to last us for the entire stay. We always buy more and leave it behind. Since we have rented the same place for years and there are a lot of "regulars", we all tend to do the same thing and there is plenty of supplies available (and room to store them). The cleaning service also checks to make sure there is plenty of supplies before the new guests arrive. Never been an issue.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toilet Tissue

you'll pay one way or another if you get my drift. They can either build more into the rates or expect you to cover some incidentals.