We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai with 15 month old

Level Contributor
156 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai with 15 month old

Greetings, we're traveling to the Poipu are in June, and bring our 15 month old for an extended family vacation. While hubby and I will have a day to do something on our own, we're looking for specific activities and beaches that are baby friendly... Also, for any seasoned travelers, any tips for traveling with a 15 month old is greatly appreciated! We're a little apprehensive. Thanks much!

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

Lyngate Park has something you may like....Child swimming area,picnicking and some snorkeling, as well as lying on the beach.There is a play jungle gym area (15 Months still small) but may be something you can share.....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

Poipu Beach Park has a little Keiki Cove, for safe toddler play, a play structure, and picnic tables often in the shade. The park also has restrooms and water for washing sand off.

Also in the Poipu area is "Baby Beach" which offers shallow water for playing, a little bit of shade, not much, but no restroom or facilities. Good for a quiet day. This is located on Hoona Rd, which loops off of Lawai Road as you go toward (but before you get to) the Beach House, Lawai Beach Resort, Spouting Horn, etc. Look for the yellow pipe and the stairwell.

Then also past the Lawai Beach Resort, is another tinier "Baby Beach" but it is pretty full of coral and shells, and is really small to share it with many families, but often you can have this tiny beach all to yourselves.

If you head west, you might want to stop in at Salt Pond Beach Park, there is a shallow cove (to the right, as you look at the water) that offers safe water play. The park has restrooms and outdoor showers for washing sand off. There are covered picnic shelters, a lifeguard and a grassy area, if your child doesn't like the sand.

As mentioned above, Lydgate Park on the East Shore would make a great stop for anyone with children. Besides the safe swim area and play structure at Kamalani Playgound, there is a paved walking path that leads to the Kamalani Play Bridge, which is something to see!

On the north shore, while taking in the sights, you might want to stop at Anini Beach, with its shallow water, restrooms, covered picnic shelters and large grassy area for running around.

Those are few spots you might want to hit as you travel around the island. Have fun!

Broomfield
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

Good for you for taking the baby! We have taken our now 19 month old on numerous flights, both in her own seat and on our lap, and hands down the best trips have been when we can place her in the car seat in her own seat. Also, found that presenting her with new toys throughout the flight (and at the destination) keeps her occupied. Having favorite snacks and drinks on hand also helps. On our last trip in January, the TSA agent told us that you are allowed to bring juice (but not water) for infants, so on our return flight I bought some of those 4 oz bottles of Gerber Juice and it made it through security without any issues.

The flight home from Hawaii is easier, since it is usually overnight.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

Lonely Planet's "Travel With Children" -

www.babysaway.com has rental strollers, highcahirs, etc.....

reserve car seat well ahead of time, unless taking your own

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

We've been traveling to Kauai with our two boys, now ages 6 & 9 since they were both 3 months old. When I needed it, I rented all of my stuff from Ready Rentals. They deliver and pickup anywhere on Kauai (http://www.readyrentals.com/) and their rentals were always in great shape. BTW, Baby's Away does not have a location on Kauai.

Tha park in Kapaa is called "Lydgate Park" and there is also a nice playground there called Kamalani Playground. My kids call it the "Maze Park" and they love it!

We really like Brennecke's Beach for smaller children. There is a jetty on the east side of the cove that blocks the waves. There is also a nice play set right on the beach. Salt Pond Park towards Waimea (just past Hanapepe Town) has a nice area for children. Also, check out "Baby's Beach" in Poipu on Ho'ona Road. It is our favorite spot for our children and we stay there on every trip now. We will be there June 20-30.

The Hyatt Hotel has a "Parrot Talk" on most mornings at 10:00 a.m. We take our kids everytime now. They love it and depending on the parrot and how still your child can keep his arm, they will let them "hold" the parrot. My kids also like to check out the swans and koi near the Tidepools Restaurant at the Hyatt.

If you drive up to Princeville, there is a nice little playground at the entrance.

If you need a sitter, we have used and really like Happy Kids of Kauai" http://www.happykidskauai.com/

Do a search on this forum for "kids" or "children". There are numerous discussions on this subject with tons of information.

Marti

Level Contributor
156 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

Thank you all for the information. We'll actually be there at the same time, although you'll be packing up just as we've arrived. She began walking at 8 months and runs at just 10 months, so we've been a little intimidated with the travel. We have booked her own seat, and the little gifts and jusice information is greatly appreciated. We've just introduced her to swimming and she loves it, and hopefully she loves the beach as much as mommy and daddy do! Thanks again for the advice!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

I totally understand! My youngest started walking at 9 months. Kauai is a very fun place to take kids. You can email Ready Rentals ahead of time and they will deliver what ever you need. We always have our first meal (before we even head to the house) at Keoki's. We love the bar area but the restaurant is also awesome and great for kids. We also like to rent a jogging stroller and take an early morning walk the next day. Since we are still of California time, we like to walk that first morning. We either head to Spouting Horn or to the Sheraton. You can even hit breakfast at the Sheraton (before 10:30 a.m., I think). A nice way to get acclimated. We stay on Baby's Beach but if you are staying over by Brenneck's Beach, you can take a great walk over to the Hyatt and hit breakfast over there. Also, tons of stuff to keep her occupied on the plane but a walk or two during flight keeps them happy. Besides, the other passengers love to see babies. Let me know if you have any other questions. We are heading over to Molokai after our time on Kauai....

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

BTW, when my oldest was 2, we drove out to Polihale State Beach (very slowly, the road can be rough) and had a barbecue on the beach at sunset. We bought a cheap hibachi at Big Save and cooked hotdogs. We brought some chairs from the house. It was great fun and June is a good time to do this.

We have done that at least 1/2 a dozen times since then including a trip with my yougest at 2 1/2 and his older brother at 5. We'll do that again this June with kids and my 80 year old mother. The walk from the parking area to where we set up is not far.

9. Re: Kauai with 15 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 08:20