We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Hubby is in Poipu and saw all of the helicopters and search and rescue personnel at the small boat harbor. Just another reminder that we need to be very careful in the ocean waters! I pray they find the second kayaker soon!

kgmb9.com/main/index.php…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,609 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Very sad. No matter how experienced one is it's never a good idea to take on the ocean in a kayak solo.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

This was a husband and wife team from Kalaheo. Hubby said the wind and currents were pretty bad in Poipu today. He decided NOT to do his swim outsideof the breakwater before he heard the nesof the missing couple.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,501 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Also a kite surfer drown off Kauai today.

Also a scuba diver off Kauai almost drown today & is in critical condition.

Also a surfer at Pipeline on North Shore died today.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

This is a reminder that Hawaii is not Disneyland...

Think before you do something here , and dont do something you have never done before. or try to push the limits ..Just becaues its in Hawaii...remember you can always come back.

This Kayaker was a local in top shape...and after 20 hours in the water....

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

We saw many kayakers out in the ocean when we were there. Always seemed odd to me to tackle the ocean in a kayak! We noticed Friday that the surf was really up at Poipu. Had planned to go there for the day. Ended up at Lawai again for most of the day. It seems to be a little better protected by an outter reef.

Cali
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

I have never been afraid of the ocean or water until last year. I'm a great swimmer and in Maui last year the ocean scared me for the first time ever. We were down in Wailea in front of the Fours Seasons on Maui and I got knocked out by a huge wave. I actually opened my eyes to sand and me tumbling in circles. I reminded me of that scene in "Blue Crush". Of course I should have dove through the wave, but I'm never taking the ocean for granted again.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The story just gets more tragic -- the search for the missing kayaker has been called off -- and there were 2 more deaths here in the Po'ipu area ocean as well -- a kite-surfer who died at Maha'ulepu and a scuba diver who died at Koloa Landing.

Three deaths in just 2-3 days -- what a horrible statistic!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Truly sad news, thanks Janet for the update -

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Hubby was going to do his normal swim out of Koloa Landing last weekend. He decided against it since the ocean was too rough and the surf very high. He headed down to the small boat harbor and that was when he ran into the search and rescue folks. Luckily, he used his good sense and went to the gym instead of takling the waters in Poipu. He said the weekend before, the waters near Mahaulepu were very calm. Very sad stories indeed....

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Missing Kayaker off Poipu Beach

Martik - thank goodness your hubby paid attention -