We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunset on north shore

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
sunset on north shore

What time does the sunset? we will be there apr 25-may 2nd.

any spots you recc watching it set on the north shore? (restaurants or beaches?)

we were going to have dinner at mediterranean gourmet 1 night, is it good to watch from there (is is ocean front?) and what time should we make resv for?

i also heard to watch sunset from ke'e beach and then go eat somewhere?

Thanks!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunset on north shore

thesunrisetimes.com/Pacific_Islands/Port_All…

Friday nights are the Seafood Buffet at Cafe Hanalei in the Princeville resort. Reserve for 5:30pm and watch the sunset from your table. It's a little pricy at $65/person (2006 price) but worth it.

Calif.
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sunset on north shore

I agree. The seafood buffet at the Princeville Resort is one of my favorites. Even if you don't eat there, the sunset from the parking lot is great.

esnips.com/doc/…Kauai-2007-038

Calif.
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sunset on north shore

In this one you can see the "GREEN FLASH".

esnips.com/doc/…nsnext

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
771 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunset on north shore

Just one tip from someone who has seen more than a few Hawaiian sunsets and have seen people miss almost as many.

There is very little Dusk in Hawaii. The sun sets quickly once it starts. You can actually watch it moving. I have always been there in Mid summer, July and then it sets shortly after 7:15 PM, 7:30 it is down. We view it from our lania at the Cliff's in Princeville and there are always people walking up after it is almost down trying to get a final pic.

Allow enough time to get to where you want to be to view it.

The Princeville Hotel is an excellent choice. I also love the Bali Hai Restaurant view at Hanalei Bay Resort. There are two Palm trees there that frame Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai peak very nicely. I must have 100 pictures of that view. Kee beach is a wonderful place (take plenty of bug spray as the Mosquitoes will eat you alive).

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
306 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunset on north shore

My wife and I were watching the sun set from the Princeville Hotel parking lot a few years back. There was some kind of fire on the coast with smoke blowing out over the ocean so we thought it would be a bust. Then a rain squall came up and put out the fire. The smoke blew away, the sky cleared up, and out came the sun. The horizon was clear with a layer of clouds above it. We watched without blinking as the sun set below the horizon. We saw the "green flash"! And once the sun was below the horizon the clouds went through a gorgeous light show with varying shades of pink, blue, red and orange! Airfare to Hawaii - $1500.00; Condo - $1100.00; Other expenses - $2000.00: Sunsets - priceless!

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunset on north shore

Thanks for the input!

janet, you mentioned mediterranean gourmet in another post, is that a good place for sunset as well?

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunset on north shore

richinpa, we are staying at the cliffs club this time. do you own there or do you trade? do you like it?

last time we stayed at hanalei bay resort and liked it. are a bit worried we won't have a/c this time and that we'll be hot and be kept awake by noise that the a/c normally drowns out....

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunset on north shore

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The sun will be setting here on 4/25 to 5/2 between 6:24pm and 6:27pm.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunset on north shore

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"janet, you mentioned mediterranean gourmet in another post, is that a good place for sunset as well? "

I've never eaten there during sunset, but I don't think it would have any real "sunset" view - you are pretty close to the end of the road and Ke'e Beach though - so you could drive down there and see it, then come back to have dinner - a very short drive.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
35,525 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sunset on north shore

I've eaten there at sunset and you cannot see the sun set. It sets too far north. It is a wonderful restaurant though and I do highly recommend it, but after going to Ke'e for an awesome sunset experience. I take chairs, cheese and crackers ( and wine if I am not the driver) and sit and stare. You meet the nicest people this way.