We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Beach House for kids ??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Is Beach House for kids ??

Hi everyone, I know everyone on this forum everyone raves about The Beach House restaurant and advises going at sunset. Is it a romantice dinner for 2 type of place or is it okay to take kids ? We have a large group with 6 kids ( aged 9-16)and 5 adults. Is this the type of place for us or would we be better suited elsewhere?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well first of all I don't have children, so my opinion will be based on that - others might have different ones if they do have children.

Beach House is about as fancy a restaurant as Kaua'i gets - having said that, it still isn't full-on fancy like the mainland - you can wear shorts, collared shirt or a sundress and be perfectly fine there. But the menu is upscale "foodie" type food, they pride themselves on presentation of the food and again - it is as fancy as Kaua'i gets.

The times I personally have been there (last time about a year ago) I have never seen children there - that isn't to say that children don't go - just haven't seen them. I would say that if your keiki are well behaved and can enjoy a fine dining restaurant while everyone else around them can too - then it probably would be fine.

You can always let them go out on the grass in front and play if they get antcy I suppose!

Hopefully others can give you more info on this particular subject.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

Last time I was there we had 3 older kids and 3 younger kids (2-22). They put us in a table towards the back but that was great. They do have a kids menu. I think they will like watching the surfers outside, maybe a wedding going on and of course no matter what age you are a gorgeous sunset.

Make sure you reserve for such a large party WAY ahead of time.

Have fun.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

We also took our kids there when they were younger. We all had a great time. All of the restaurants on Kauai are family friendly. I think Keoki's along with Plantation Gardens are two other very good places for families.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

Probably every family and their kids have different tastes.

Many years ago when my son scott was a young boy, I took him to the Plankhouse ( steakhouse )in orange county. As we arrived, I explained the amibiance, and steak dinners, etc.

His comment " Dad, can we go to McDonalds instead?"

Point being, he could have cared less about fine dining. We went to McDonalds, which was off my personal food chart, and had a great time.

But, again, families have different tastes. You know what your kids like, and their attitudes.

I do think that you all would have a great time, with the view, early seating, watching the surfers, and then all getting up and walking out onto the grass near the tiki torches for a sunset family photo. Someone will be glad to snap it with your cameras. No worries.

Oh, I heard that the Beach House no longer is serving the Chocolate Molten Desires. Wonder what delicious creation will replace it.

Denny

Denny

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

I have to agree with Denny -- you can bring your kids to the Beachhouse, but this is not a kid-type place. And you will pay a lot of money to take them there and they probably won't appreciate it.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

When we were there in 04 there was an 18 month old and a three year old seated with their parents next to us (it was a pretty early seating time). The kids were well behaved, but I couldn't help thinking how expensive that meal must have been.

However, I think older tweens and teens should do fine - as someone else mentioned, there is a lot going on outside the restaurant to keep them entertained - on our 07 picnic on the BH lawn we watched teenage surfer girls getting a few last waves, family groups taking group shots on the lawn, sunset watchers with dogs and babies, and a bride and groom getting photos taken.

Their website lists both the dinner menu and the keiki menu, so I have to think that they expect families to bring kiddos:

www.the-beach-house.com

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,947 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

It's OK to take kids ... not terribly formal or anything. But as others have noted it is expensive.

Only you can determine if the kids in your groups can "behave" themselves in that kind of setting. Or of the kids will appreciate the atmosphere. I'd recommend pulling up the menu on-line before making any final decisions/reservations.

FYI - their parking stinks.

California
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

"FYI - their parking stinks."

Don't they have valet? I remember I got a place right across the street but my BIL did valet. Do they still?

covington,la
Level Contributor
775 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

We are across the street now!, Yes they still valet, and Tuesday night we hsd the chocolate molten desire...oh man that was the best!!!

Keoki Paradise was Shoney's quality and style food, with waterfalls :( very disappointing

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Beach House for kids ??

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounds like an option may be to go around sunset and sit on the lawn outside. That way the younger kids can run around if they feel like it. I really appreciate all your input - Kristie