We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

Texas
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Topic
jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

I was wondering if you decided to get one of the tattoos either real or henna? If so let me know where you went and how it turned out. I am interested for my June trip.

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

Hi Isrs!

That's too funny that you remember that thread because hubby and I just booked our appt. for May 2nd (the night we leave) with Island Tatoo II in Kapa'a.

I'm getting a colour Plumeria flower with leaves on my wrist (I'd like to do on the side of my neck but I don't think I'll have the guts!). I'll either get 1 flower or 3 across the wrist, it depends on how the first one goes! :) 'Moon' is doing it.

Hubby is getting a tribal shark on his shoulder in black with shading. 'Thad' is doing his.

We are looking forward to it but I'm extremely nervous because I hate needles and pain! :) My first tattoo, so not sure what to expect.

I'll keep you posted after it happens!

Jen

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

Jen,

Make sure you post pics of the process. That would be cool.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

Jen - for me, it felt like a rubber band being snapped against my skin -- not exactly PAINFUL, but certainly not a gentle massage - and it will hurt more wherever the bones are closer to the skin (I have a ladybug on my big toe). Be sure to follow whatever aftercare instructions they give you to preserve the color, heal properly and ensure that it lasts - no sense spending all that money only to have it fade.

Have fun!

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

jenp,

Not to worry about the pain..It is kind of a strange feel at first and then just becomes like someone rubbing you in the same spot over, and over again and again, kinda irritating.....

You will be fine...My only suggestion is to make sure you want it where you want it...It is a lifetime mark!!

You are young now and at the age of fifty is it still where you would want it?? This is why I put mine on my lower back, "hidden".Still at the age of 47 (40 at the time) I want to keep my Mom happy by not showing it. I am a girl and I like tattoos just be tasteful about it, when they start to become all over the body, it becomes tasteless....IMOP

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

JenP--

My husband and I just got our first tattoos (matching). It does hurt, but you get used to the sensation quickly. At first I thought, "oh no, I have to do this for an hour?!" but in the end I felt that I could have gone much longer. It's good that you're getting it done on your last day there because the aftercare isn't compatible with a Hawaiian vacation. Make sure you don't drink coffee or alcohol the day of your appointment! I went in after having had three cups of coffee and I bled like crazy. My caffeine-free husband didn't, and as a result his tat looks like it took the ink better.

Good luck, and I hope you have a great time in Kauai. We'll be there May 28-- can't wait!

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

Thanks for all the feedback!

I didn't know about the caffine! I drink a lot of diet Pepsi, so I'll be sure not to have any that day!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Jen

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

I'm curious how it goes, too, and I'd love to see pictures if you're willing to share them.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

I know nothing about tatoos but one of the ladies with us on our zipline tour who lives on the island, said she sees many people get tatoos while their in Kauai and then they go swimming in the ocean and it doesn't "take" as well or something. SO its good your getting it on your last day there. I"m sure they tell you when you get it whether or not you can get it wet, etc.

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

Yes, I will definitely share the photos!

They already suggested we do it on the last day because we cannot get it wet or expose sunlight to it. We also can't have a sunburn or be peeling when it comes time to do it either.

It's supposed to itch for a while after too. Should make a comfortable ride home! :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jenp....Have you/Are you going to tattoo? Henna or Real

I think I was told to put Vaseline (or maybe Neosporin?) on mine to help it heal - I don't remember it itching. That was a while ago, so maybe the aftercare theory has changed.