We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo Rental

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alamo Rental

I have seen it eluded to on some of the Hawaii forums, but haven't seen anything recent for Kauai. Any reason I shouldn't rent from Alamo in Kauai? Their price is much lower.

Many thanks.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo Rental

Type Alamo in the search box and you'll get a long list of recent threads on this topic - some people have great experiences, some not so great. All I can say is "you get what you pay for" - which for us is just fine.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo Rental

dsoshnik

We rented from Alamo in March......absolutely no problems.....got my best rate ($15 per day through priceline)....

they only had 2-dr models available in our class when we arrived, but after hearing that there would be 4 in our party, the lot manager ran over to where the cars were being returned and washed......then returned a few minutes later to explain that there were no 4-doors there so he upgraded us to an SUV (for the same rate) which really worked out well for us.......I was very impressed with their service and would definitely rent from them again !!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo Rental

No reason NOT to rental from Alamo, especially if price is so important like it is for us. Check Costco for their Alamo rates and keep checking right up until your trip. You can reserve, cancel, reserve, cancel, reserve until you get the best price.

The one thing I did notice about Alamo is just how pushy they are to try to get you to take the extra insurance - just keep saying NO!

3Chihuahuas

Phoenix
Level Contributor
213 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo Rental

Does anyone know what Alamo on Kauai charges for an extra driver?

Right now I have a reservation with Alamo and one with Hertz, but Hertz is $100 more for the week. However, with Hertz, I get 2 drivers free.

Thanks!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo Rental

If you rent an Alamo car through Costco or Discount Hawaii Car Rentals, there is no charge for an extra driver.

3Chihuahuas

oregon
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo Rental

Always rent Alamo and never had a problem.

New Iberia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo Rental

Ditto 3chihuahuas......very pushy on the insurance. The guy I had must have had his spiel photo-stamped on his brain. He wouldn't let it go. Just say no, folks. Just say no.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo Rental

We've rented from Alamo the last 3 trips or so, they usually came in cheapest or one of the cheapest, never had any problems with them.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo Rental

I rented from Alamo earlier this month and they were just fine. I would rent from them again.

Florissant
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo Rental

Fellow St. Louisan here-

We used Alamo (Kauai and Hilo) and the guy at the Kauai desk was very pushy about insurance so my hubs settled in for a very long debate about why we needed it. Then hubs read the w-h-o-l-e contract and asked questions. The guy was astonished and said, "You are gonna read the whole thing???" Hubs said, "Well, if you want me to sign the whole thing I will read the whole thing to see what I am agreeing to".

The gals at Alamo (Kauai) seem much nicer.

Everyone at Hilo Alamo was super.