We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So apparently I'm crazy...

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Topic
So apparently I'm crazy...

I have raw, red feet and my calves are still sore from our 9 hour Kalalau hike on Monday... but I wanna see the views from the 10 mile Awa'awapuhi/Nualolo trail, I'm gonna do it today!

We leave tomorrow, so it's our last chance! I hope I make it! :) Hubby says he'll carry me if he has too! ha ha. It's now 5:11 am and we are leaving in 10 mins! We want an EARLY Start so we make it out before dark! LOL!

Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes!

Jen

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

Jen,

That hike to the hanakaiai falls, did take it its toll.

Usually , we recommend that most new hikers just hike to hanakapia beach and back. Even that has rocks to watch out for, and the stream crossing.

You did quite a challenging hike, and I suppose you are off for the awa awapuhi, nualolol loop.

But, should you read this prior. You might think about the awa awa puhi, and lookout and return the way you came.

The trail is really pretty soft, and not like the hanakapiai. There is a lot of shade, and easier on those sore muscles.

Long down grade to the lookout, and of course long up grade on the return. But, not bad.

It is now 05:24, so probably missed you...

Let us know how it went.

Denny

mich
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

Hope everything has gone okay for you today! And can't wait to see your pictures of this hike. I'm sure going to miss not reading your reviews when you leave the island! I hope i can do as good a job of it when we are there in Sept! What was the BEST thing you did there on your trip? I'm sure you'll be alittle sad to leave tomorrow. As i know i will be.

KDgardens

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
778 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

Uh-oh...she's hooked now!

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

You Go Girl! Wow! I'm looking forward to seeing your photos on the Awa'awapuhi trail... we are going to do this one for a bit when we are there and can't wait to see what you think of it.

J

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

Jen,

I've really enjoyed your trip reports and photos. Thanks for sharing with everyone. Can't wait to hear how your hike went. This is one hike I particularly want to do this summer, so I'll be really interested in your observations and photos. Good luck!

Sandy

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

Hi Jen,

How did it go? Hope you were successful and that your husband didn't have to carry you out :) Have a good trip home .... do you have your next trip to Kauai planned?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

Hi Jen,

I'm looking forward to hearing how it went, too.

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

Well, I made it in one piece which is good!

Thanks for all your comments! I'm currently downloading the pictures and hoping to have them done and a trip report done by tomorrow!

We leave tomorrow night, which I'm sad about. I don't wanna leave here! But, at the same time, I really miss our dogs. I'm sure (hope!) they miss us too!

The hike was great, and we are both really sore! The hot tub we had earlier was great for that!

I'll post more tomorrow! Time to watch LOST!!!

Take care!

Jen

9. Re: So apparently I'm crazy...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 12:21