We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Aloha!

Well, back home again! I couldn't sleep much last night, as I was so used to the comfortable bed at the resort! I miss that! :)

The flights were pretty decent and got to sit at the emergency exits to L.A. We met a nice man from Kauai (I forget his name, but he owns Linda's Treasures in Coconut Marketplace and his son owns a sports bar). He chatted with us about the trip for a while.

I'm exhausted because I couldn't sleep on the plane even though we flew all night long. I was so glad to see our dogs! I missed them so much!

Anyway, on with the report on our last couple of days!

First Duane's Ono Burger: We were near the area so we stopped in to try. Extremely slow service, it must have taken about 45 mins to get our order! The food was pretty good though. We got the Local Boy/Local Girl burgers (terriaki/pineapple) and that was yummy, but messy! The fries were decent and the onion rings really good but you only get 6 so I wouldn't bother sharing. There was this liitle boy there that was driving us crazy trying to grab the cats. He kept chasing this one cat who was very tolerant of him at first but finally ended up biting him. I don't blame the cat really, the parents should have stopped it, but they ignored him and his screaming to get the cats attention... grrr. So I reccommend the place but take it to go and eat it on the beach.

Lydgate: spent a few hours here so Bob could swim in the oceans to feel safe (for those who don't remember, he's the one that is obsessed with sharks and is terrified of them so doesn't swim much in the ocean). It was fun to see the colourful fish swimming around our feet and wished we had an underwater camera! It was a treat to swim in such calm waters. I can see why this is such a popular beach for kids to enjoy, we did!

Awa'awapuhi/Nualolo Trail Hike Loop: I debated on doing this because as most know, my feet were raw from the 8 mile Kalalau trail we did on the Monday. I went and got some huge waterproof bandaids though and patched myself up. Bob was going to do it alone, but I felt bad, so I sucked it up! We got started around 7 am and we were the only ones around! The trail down Nualolo was pretty decent and it was really cool too so bring a sweater for the beginning. It was steep downhill a bit so I'm grateful we didn't finish on this one! We reached the vista around 9:30 am and the views were amazing! The trail kept getting more narrow, but as long as you were careful you'd be fine. We ventured out past the end of vista sign and saw somemore nice views of another area.

It was getting quite hot by 11 pm! We traveled back to the cliff loop and through a lot of forest. When it comes to hiking, please take my reviews with a grain of salt because I do not hike or go into forests very often. I'm not an outdoorsy person normally so this was a big adventure for me! Don't laugh, but I found the hike through the forest stressful because of all the bugs I could hear constantly buzzing around me. It was either skeeters, bees or deerfly's - a combination all day - and I was really freaked out sometimes! The high bush at one point would've caused a meltdown, but I had to remind myself that there were NO SNAKES on this island! We did hear a goat call at one point which was funny!

There was a tricky area around the loop where much of the ground was washed out and it was dry but crumbly (sp?) rocks. Hubby slipped once but recovered fine. It was a little scary, but just go slow.

We finally reached the Awa'awa vista and actually saw some people there! The view was amazing too! I'm torn which one I liked better, but I guess it if I had to pick, it would be Awa'awa, and I think Bob liked Nualolo better. We had our lunch there with four very agressive roosters!

The hike back up for 3 miles, felt like it would never end. Thankfully it was extrememly steep all the way up, but we were already tired and hot. We kept joking that we would see hallucinations of the road and cars, and at one point Bob did think he saw a road... ha ha. Finally when we reached the road we had another mile or so to walk back to our car. Man, that was rough. I tried to hitch but nobody picked us up! :( We were so sore the next day! My calves were toast and Bob's feet had HUGE blisters on the side.

Totally worth it though! I'm really glad I went out of my shell at bit and did these hikes.

Okay, the last day we did our tattoos! We did them at Island Tattoo II in Kapa'a. Moon did my Plumeria tattoo and Thad did Bob's Tribal Shark. Thad was late because of traffic (he commutes from the West evedryday!). I was so nervous of the pain and almost backed out a few times, but I knew I would regret it later.

I will tell you that it did hurt! I got mine done on my wrist and the closer he got to the hand area, the more it hurt! I never got used to the pain like some of said I would... I tolerated it though and tried hard not to move my hand! I opted out to just do the one, instead of three like my original plan! ha ha.

Bob's took about 2 hours and Thad added his own flair to the design. I caught some moments where Bob was trying not to cringe. He wanted to be macho but he said it really hurt around the sides of the arms. His tattoo became much larger than originally, but Thad told him that because he's a big guy a little tattoo on his arm would make him look like a pansy. :)

We loooove our tats but the recovery is a bit of a pain. We can't expose it to sun, must apply ointment and then cream for a few weeks and it burns a lot right now.

I'm going to post one more report again, sort of giving more thoughts and highlights of our trip etc. But not until we are settled in a bit - so sometime this week. But thank you everyone who took the time to read them all!

Here are some photos from the hike/tattoos:

Lydgate/Hike:

…google.com/sexyscrapper/AwaAwapuhiNualoloHi…

Tattoos/welcome home:

…google.com/sexyscrapper/May2LastDayAtIsland…

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Jenp.

Welcome back! Thank you for your posts and for sharing your trip and pictures with us. Sounds like you had a great time and an adventurous one too.

By the way, I thought it was really funny that Bob, who is terrified of sharks, selected a shark tattoo! It is a nice looking tattoo. I would personally never go thru the pain!

Welcome back.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Aloha, Jen

Got to tell you, your trip reports were most interesting, and a joy to read.

You hung in there above and beyond. And, you both will be struting your stuff, showing off your tats, and regalling all of canada with your wonderful adventures.

Everytime you look at your " ink" kauai island will blossom in your mind.

Cheers to both of you

Denny and Erica

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

I know. Bob loves sharks and he has great respect for them, which is why he knew he would never regret the tattoo decision. He's always wanted one and knew it would be a shark of some sort. But having it made in a Hawaiian way, makes it even more memorable. Mine I love because it will always remind me of the trip. I figured I'd put it on my wrist because we are in winter clothes 8 months out of the year, so it would be covered up the whole time otherwise!

Thanks Denny. You have been so kind and very helpful in your posts. I have learned so much from your expereinces.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Jen,

So sorry your home....So the tats hurt :)

And now that Bob has a shark on his arm, maybe this will help with his fears! NOT....

I loved reading your posts of your trip.It was nice to read as you were actually there during you writings.

Will you return to Kauai???

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
771 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Jen,

I really enjoyed reading your reports and I viewed everyone of your wonderful pictures.

We are counting down till July 11th when we get to return.

Your husband would have loved snorkeling with me last year at Tunnels. I came Up close and personal to about a 6 ft shark while snorkeling. Nerve wracking to say the least.

Thansk again.

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

ha ha... I wish I knew how to edit these posts!

I meant to say that thankfully the awa'awa hike back up WASN'T extremely steep...

:)

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Thanks Jam. YES!!! We will definitely be back again one day!

Ric, Wow, what type of shark was it do you know? What did you do? Have a fabulous time!

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Thanks Jen! I too have thoroughly enjoyed your trip reports and pictures! I have to say, doing those more difficult hiking trails and not having done any hiking before took a lot of courage and determination. I'll be heading to Kauai in late August and am debating doing maybe one of those trails. My hiking experience isn't extensive, though I have done some difficult ones in other places here in California. I remember my last visit to Kauai, looking at the beginning of the Kalalau trail and noticing how steep it started out. So glad you enjoyed your time on Kauai. Three weeks is a great amount of time to spend there too!!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

Wow those three weeks flew by and now you are home with all of your pictures and your tattoos. Thanks for your reports.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report of Lydgate/Hike/Tattoos - looong with Photos!

jenp,

Wow, I'm impressed by your courage in doing both of those challenging hikes and getting a tattoo, too!

richinpa,

Umm, where exactly at Tunnels did you see that shark?

I plan to snorkel a lot at Tunnels in June and am just kind of wondering?

Seriously, I hear that most sharks inside the reef area are black or white tip sharks and they are interested in eating seafood, not tourists.