We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

I happened across a great deal on airfare to Kauai yesterday and decided to go for it. Problem is, it's less than 3 weeks from now. I like to obsessively plan trips (I made a 5-page spreadsheet for our trip to Disney last year), so I'm freaking out a little.

We'll be there May 30 for 7 nights. We're a couple in our 30s. We will hike and snorkel, but want to spend most of our time on the beach relaxing and taking in the sights.

We've never been to Kauai before, but did vacation in Maui once. We really enjoyed Hana, so I thought Kauai would be a good fit for us.

Can I get some advice on where to stay? I was thinking at least 4 days in the north and maybe a couple of days in the east or south just for a change. Our budget is about $250 a night but if we can find something less expensive that would be great. We want something quiet, very clean and with an ocean view.

I use Priceline a lot, but we were treated like 3rd class citizens when we had a Priceline room in Maui, so I may not want to go that route. The Hanalei Colony Resort seemed like it might work, but some of the bad reviews on TA scare me a little. The new Westin Princeville seems great, but we couldn't afford an ocean view. I'm thinking a condo may be the way to go, but I've never tried vrbo before and I got a bit overwhelmed when I looked there.

Can you help me narrow things down or recommend some options?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,509 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

Oh, how exciting!! If you like Hana, do stay on the Northshore - it is quite easy to explore the south while staying on the Northshore - we just look at it as a day trip. :)

I would first look for condos in the Princeville area - some are very reasonable and many have ocean views. It's fairly easy to search on vrbo as long as you know the area you want to stay. I know some others on here will hop on and help with specifics.

Kauai is very laid back - it really won't take that much planning. About the only thing besides car rental and accommodations you need to reserve ahead - you may want to think about a helicopter trip or if you want a dinner at the Beach house. Other than that, you can reserve things when you arrive. Get the Ultimate Kauai Revealed guidebook to help you narrow down activities you would like to do - they have excellent maps, just exercise caution with their ideas of public/safe access. Happy Planning - you are going to love Kauai!! :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

If you liked Hana you would like the North shore of Kauai. Here is a link from the unit we stayed in.

http://www.kauailyn.com/index.htm

The views are awesome from these condos. We had very good luck booking with them. You will probably get better rate by staying at one place for the week, but it would be nice not to have to drive to the south and west when you want to see the sights that way. But then again you would have to pack up and leave and re-adjust for just a few days....I guess that would be totally a personal preference.

California
Level Contributor
36,651 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

If you email me I can help you find a place at Hanalei Bay Resort. I can look up which units are open for your dates and which ones are nice. I know one owner who giving a pretty good discount for bookings within 30 days. Her view is gorgeous mountain and parts of the bay.

jebett3@aol.com

summitpacificinc.com/hanalei_bay_resort.html

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

Don't bother moving. Stay up north and do your exploring from there. It's a real hassle to pack up, and move. With check out times and check in times, etc. We usually stay put for the entire time and drive around from there unless we are there for more than 2 weeks, then we might move.

North Shore is lovely and like coalminer said, if you like Hana, you'll love the North Shore.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

Short notice, and a reasonable place to stay that are very, very nice.

Please understand the more days, many times the less you pay per day.

You might pick up the UKG, as they have an excellent section on where to stay, what the property is like, and range of costs, and phone numbers.

$ 250.00 or less:

North Shore: Hanalei Bay Villas, three story, free standing, near the Princeville Resort and Hideaways.

Also paved trail walking down to princeville hotels beach. View of the mountains, and waterfalls of Mt. Waialeale. I think we paid $ 170.00/night, but that was a few years back. Great places, all two bedrooms. Look more like condos, but are free standing.

SOUTH SHORE: Poipu Kai, Extra Deluxe, or Deluxe. At Kahala Section, or Manualoha you can walk to Poipu Beach Park, snorkeling. Brenneckes Beach-body surfing. Several restaurants, shopping, and activities close by.

The less expensive is the deluxe Kahala section.

Extra deluxe more cost, but not that much more in the manualoha or poipu sands sections.

Also you can walk over to the Hyatt and hike along the wonderful trail from Makawehi Point, to Pristine and nearly deserted Maha'ulepu Beach from any of Poipu Kai Resort's sections.

Poipu Sands section overlooks or is near the Hyatt and shipwreck beach.

You will also have not only the main swimming pool, but keys to your section's semi private pool.

Last time we stayed, Extra Deluxe 1 Br was $ 155.00/nt. This was one week, before we moved over, two years ago. Otherwise we stayed for a two week period each time. More days, less cost per day.

It is less to just order the deluxe or extra deluxe,, and be happy with what you are assigned.

12 years of visits, we were always pleased and happy with our wonderful units.

We always booked thru suite-paradise. 100% satisfied.

You can check out the websites for the above, and give them a call.

The above, for us, were excellent value for the cost. As well as wonderful ammenties, and quiet.

Act quickly as your arrival date is coming up quick.

However, at this time the visitor count is down. Yesterday from the pool here at Banyon Harbor, overlooking Kalapaki beach at the Marriot( Lihue), the beach was nearly deserted.

Denny

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

I think I'll follow your advice and stick with the north shore rather than moving around, since it will be less hassle and maybe a better rate. I'm researching all of the options mentioned above (and will welcome any more advice). Will post what I decide. Thanks very much!

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

www.kauaivacationresorts.com

www.kauaivactionrentals.com

Try these for Princeville condos.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

Denny mentioned the UKG. Here's a link to their website that has aerial photos and reviews of the various condos in Pirnceville:

http://wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Once you find a complex you want to check out, try these sites that will allow you to rent from individual owners in order to make sure you get the exact unit you want:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…north

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/

(These are also a good source for cottages and houses on the north shore)

You may have trouble finding a unit at this late date, but good luck!

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

we've stayed at the cliffs and hanalei bay resort condos. check vrbo.com for condo rentals. we have not rented with them as we trade our timeshare, but have heard others have sucess with renting from them. definately stay the north shore. we do and travel a day or 2 to the south beaches and waimea canyon. you could split it also and do 4 on north and 3 on south. it might be harder to get a good timeshare deal this way though....have so much fun. I just posted a report that will give some tips if liking to hike and on restaurants.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
56 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with last minute trip to Kauai

OK, I've been glued to my computer for the past day checking out everyone's great recommendations. Now I have a dilemma.

When searching on vrbo I fell in love with the views from Pu'u Poa. And my husband and I love modern decor. I found a penthouse unit that's just a little above our budget, so I'm tempted to splurge on it.

But, jebett was able to help me find some great deals in the Hanalei Bay Resort. The options are $60 - $100 less per night than the condo in Pu'u Poa, but the views aren't as good and one has very dated decor.

Any thoughts or info to help with my decision?