We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Airlines

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines is one of our options for flying to Kauai in March 2009. My travel agent tells me that if we want to avoid schedule changes we should not fly with Alaska.I thought they were one of the better airlines to fly with although we have never flown with them before.

Has anyone had schedule changes with Alaska?

California
Level Contributor
37,641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Airlines

Here was a recent thread discussing this. I know a few TA readers have had issues with Alaska lately but overall they are a good airline.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k19189…

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Airlines

Not to Hawaii but to and from Vancouver. One flight got cancelled and they did not offer to assist the passengers (my family).

If you have some flexibility don't fret....book it and enjoy the trip!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Airlines

I have been flying AK air for many years - and for the most part, they do okay. But like all the airlines, they have their bad moments. I haven't taken them to Hawaii yet, but I hope to in the next year or two. I have taken them to Mexico a few times and that has been fine - only one schedule change on one flight - not bad. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Airlines

My travel agent tells me they have a lot of trouble with AK and that many of their clients ask to not be booked on any of their flights. AK is $185.00/per person cheaper than United which is our other choice.

Near Seattle
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Airlines

We fly Alaska often and think it is a very good airline. We've never flown to Hawaii on Alaska. We will in August. We've had a flight booked for six months. The flight times haven't budged since we booked.

If you get the Alaska Airlines Visa Card, you get a bogo free coupon that is good on flights to Hawaii (direct to Kauai, Maui, or Oahu). Brings the cost down to less than $400 each for the four of us.

My reservation window for next Spring break opens up tomorrow.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Airlines

Hawaiiforus - yes, gotta love those companion fares - that is how we are going to Mexico at Christmastime! I think the next ones will be used for Hawaii! :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Airlines

Don't know of a source for comparative schedule change data among airlines, but if intended & rumored industry mergers materialize there will probably be more in the future than in the past.

We are devout Hawaiian Air fans but a schedule change has already resulted in an additional three hours getting home next February and earlier this year, three r/t changes, including the domino effect on mainland connecting flights, resulted in more than eight hours spent in airports.

I believe it was coastin who summarized it best in a thread awhile back: "anymore, we're all flying stand-by".

If you are victimized by a change, be sure and recheck seating assignments and, if not to your liking, call the company's 800#; often reservation agents can improve upon what websites indicate as available.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Airlines

Big politics going on at Alaska/Horizon airlines. Pilots are not happy with new agreement. Heard it from a reliable pilot. There is a big change in aircraft being flown (entire fleet of Q-200's will be gone soon along with CRJ's decreasing use more gradually) and expected pilot lay offs and pay lowered for many pilots due to these changes. There is expected changes like a pilot who was making over $100,000. MAY be reduced to half those wages due to the cut backs and changes. Some pilots think they are not making good decisions for pilots only good decisions for profit.

SOMETIMES when pilots believe the airline company doesn't realize how hard they work to be on time, to be the best they can be, and realize how directly they are related to bringing in the money, etc. they introduce the company to WHO REALLY makes the money for the owners.

If pilots decide to show them who is the backbone of the company sometimes you see a lot of canceled flights, schedule changes, long delays and heavy maintenance issues. A pilot can issue a need for maintenance for every single thing they see that isn't exactly right. These are minor things but if a pilot says she/he won't fly it without the repair who do you think wins on that one??? Plus airplanes are used throughout the day and if the first pilot delays the flight it is a domino effect. If every pilot takes off at a slower rate for every flight all day, there is also a domino effect which can reach pretty deep into the service. Just think if the flights were delayed most of the day, the later flights may not even go out. If they don't go out, the plane will not be in the right place for the next day of service. It keeps affecting more and more flights. That's why flights can be canceled completely. No plane, no flight.

I expect you to see a very high increase in inconsistent flights. The pilots will assure you have a safe trip but they will make sure the company that says they lost so much money last quarter will see how much money they can lose by making the decisions that are not good for pilots.

On another note...United has been in bankruptcy three times (If I remember that right) and that is the last of the times you can go that way. Next time it is the end of the road for them. As you noticed ATA and Aloha was gone all at once. Even the some pilots were left where they landed the plane and had to find a way to get home on their own. How rotten is that??

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. According to the pilot I spoke to she/he would think going on Hawaiian Airlines would be what they would do if they were traveling to Hawaii. They may have the best chance at this time of keeping their fleet and their pilots consistent for service.

Lots of airlines are in trouble with the prices of oil going so high. They were barely making any money at all and now they have extraordinary expenses for fuel. On the other side of the coin, some airlines could make decisions that would be better for all concerned or they could MAKE PROFIT and not worry about the rest of the company.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Airlines

We don't have the option of flying Hawaiian out of Calgary.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska Airlines

I still think Alaska has great pilots and great service. My theory (though I don't have any expertise) is that by the time March 2009 rolls around the issues between pilots and the company will be settled in some way. Either the company will do more to console the pilots left or the pilots leave and new pilots will take their places.

From where I am standing (knowledge) I would go with Alaska before United. Just my opinion. Alaska will still be in business long after one of the other big airlines have to go under.

Other option is to fly from Calgary to a place Hawaiian flies out of. However by March 2009 I think things will be settled down and there will be no concern.

Prices will not be dropping so I would book my airline tickets as soon as it seems reasonable. Most airlines are going to charge for everything they do for you in time. However, I believe Alaska will still hire good pilots with good track records.

Good luck!!