We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dancing?

Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dancing?

Hi,

I told my wife that this trip (2 weeks!) is slated as an early celebration for our 5th wedding anniversary which isn't until September. I was hoping to surprise her with dancing, which I don't do, but she loves. We've never been dancing together, and I've always joked about taking her on our 5th because of the traditional 5th year gift...wood...> dance floor made of wood.

I thought no better place than Hawaii so why wait for the dancing until September. However, I can't find any places that might work. Any thoughts?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dancing?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Boy - I'm stumped here - I can't think of anyplace here that has dancing - while there are a few ballroom dance clubs on island and others - I don't know of any venue that holds dances regularly. The only other places that have dancing would be clubs like Rob's in Lihu'e or the Point here at the Sheraton - not sure what kind of dancing you mean?

Anyone else?

Malama Pono,

Janet

Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dancing?

Thanks for thinking...I'm not a dancer at all, and by no means am I going to a "club" to dance...something slow...but it sounds like maybe i'll just have to improvise. Maybe on the beach...maybe sharing the ipod, at night, moon light... hey with no one around i might be the best dancer ever! Thanks again for thinking this one through with me Janet!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dancing?

tahiti nui's in hanalei, another club venue. or maybe the two of you can take hula lesson's?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dancing?

Just a suggestion from what you have mentioned, and kind of want to keep it mellow.

You might check out the nites they have Live Jazz at the beautiful koa wood STEVENSENS LIBRARY at the Hyatt in Poipu.

Very mellow, easy, and dance with your special lady on your fifth, in a relaxed mode, in a beautiful wood decorated atmosphere.

Call the Hyatt Concierge desk to make certain, that they still have the jazz on fri and sat, and other evenings.

Might work out just perfect for your request. Might even be like having your own personal jazz band.

Denny

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dancing?

I think the idea of dancing on the beach together is the best idea! How romantic is that?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dancing?

Chris -- Check the Garden island newspaper when you get to the island. There is almost always a dance somewhere during a two week period. Ballroom dancing is pretty big on Kauai. And don't worry about going to a dance sponsored by a club -- they love to have guests. The level of dancing there is very casual -- this is NOT dancing with the stars. Beleive me, I know, I teach ballroom dancing and even if you can just hang onto each other and sway back and forth, YOU WILL BE OK on KAUAI. I remember the first time my husband and I went to a dance on Kauai -- we are fairly tall caucasians, and most of the others were very short Japanese/Kauaians. We towered above them, buty they welcomed us with open arms. It was a blast.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dancing?

ChrisVirginia,

I promise you that your wife would choose the sharing ipod/dance on the beach deal over an organized dance any day of the week. You will score major, major points. Could you please email my DH the idea? While you're at it, tell him I'd love to have a lei waiting for me at the airport. :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dancing?

This might sound weird, but on Tuesday nights the Point does Karaoke and there are always a bunch of regulars who get REALLY into it and dance adorably to the music...to bad there is no more salsa at the point!

Carson City, NV
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dancing?

I just got back from the island yesterday. I think it's really neat you want to share a dance with your wife. Dancing on the beach does sound very romantic.

I do have to share. We rented a condo while there. One evening during dinner I insisted the TV be turned off and plugged in the I-Pod to a portable speaker I brought along. Well...after dinner my husband took the trash out and I was starting to round up the dishes for washing. The song Harvest Moon by Neal Young came on. My husband came back in the condo and I asked him for this dance. I think he thought I'd had too much wine with dinner but he did smile and we danced right there in the condo.

I know you'll find a way to make that dance happen. It will be special to your wife no matter where it takes place.

Kauai
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dancing?

There is dancing on Kauai. Every Sunday there is social dancing and ballroom dancing at the Koloa Neighborhood Center. For more information check out www.koloadance.com The Neighborhood Center is on teh Southshore near Poipu.