We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing where to stay

Galena, Ohio
9 posts
Save Topic
Choosing where to stay

We are going to Kauai for our honeymoon from Oct 4-13,2005 and we are trying to finalize where we stay. These are are top 4 choices in order (after hours online!):

1. Kekaha Sunset Cottage

2. 17 Palms, Hale Iki Cottage adjacent to Wailua Bay

3. Prince Kuhio #116

4. Sandpiper Princeville Unit #123 (by far the best deal!) offered by Condobob

This is our first time to Kauai. All 4 places are in different parts of the island and we don't know where we should stay. Your input on what part of the island to stay, comments on the particular cottages/condos, or any other insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Missouri
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing where to stay

Personally, I would not recommend staying on the north shore of Kauai. It is quite a long drive to the other parts of the island. We enjoyed staying on the East side of the island because it was so convenient to everything we wanted to do. The south shore also offers the same convenience. The north shore is usually one of our day trips because it is so beautiful, but we set aside enough time to make a leisurely trip as it is not possible, nor safe, to make the drive too quickly. We also did not enjoy the west side of the island nearly as much as the east and south. There are fewer resorts on the west side and it appears to be less tourist-oriented. Having said that, there is actually no place on the island that isn't absolutely beautiful. Please don't be surprised or upset by the roosters that roam the island. They are part of the charm of Kauai and there is an interesting story about how they came to wander free.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
291 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing where to stay

bride, two months ago, I was planning on coming to Kauai, but since then I've decided on Oahu. In the course of researching our October week, I came across a lovely honeymoon rental. I don't know your budget, but it was a whole house in a very central location on the island (near Kapaa, on the East Side...equidistant to the North and South shores, more or less). The name was Hale O'Wailele (House of Leaping Waterfalls").

I exchanged emails with the lady who owns the house, and she sent me a brochure in the mail. It is truly beautiful. Seems it used to be a B&B before they turned it into a private rental, so it has every imaginable amenity (including several outdoor hot tubs, a private lavarock swimming pool, and even an exercise room!) It is completely private, and it's been used on some movie and advertising promotions, and for weddings.

Anyway, if you're interested it is described and photos are on www.leapingwaterfalls.com. I wish I could have come over to Kauai in October, but I just can't swing it. At the time I was looking into it, it was free for the dates you are mentioning (as they coincide with my own dates).

The lady seemed very nice. Her name was Dejon. I think the rate was 300.00 a night, but with a week's rental the last night was free.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing where to stay

In contrast, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere but the north shore :)

Depends on your ideal vacation. The north shore gets you a lush landscape, much more beautiful than any other part of the island. You also get more seclusion and less crowds, with some pretty nice beaches. If you want to get away from it all, the north shore is the place. You are far from everything, but that's where I want to be...

The south is good for people who want to be near the action, near places to eat and things to do, with lots of people around. The east is a good middle ground but still pretty far from most things.

I'd go for where to stay based on what kind of environment you want. The first one you mention seems to be on the far west side. Keep in mind that is more 'local' kauai, where many residents live. That's going to be a good drive from the east and north shores but it's also the hot/arid side of the island and you won't get much rain. Honestly I don't think I've ever been that far out west so I can't say much about what that area is like.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing where to stay

Kekaha area does not seem to me to be honeymoon haven. I would place that as a last "resort" on the list of choices your agent presented to you.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing where to stay

Hi Bride

We have spent 5 weeks in Kauai and would stay nowhere else but the Poipu area.

We also take a day trip or two to the north, and Lihue and Kapaa are not that far from Poipu, so if you want to do extra sightseeing or shopping, its no problem.

You'll find a real mix on this forum--some people prefer the north and others the south.

In the east, there is a lot of traffic at Lihue and Kapaa during morning and afternoon rush hours, which we got caught in a few times. There is a bypass road, but it didn't seem to cut off much time.

Wherever you decide to stay, have a great time!!

Galena, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing where to stay

ilovekauai-

Any specific property you would recommend that we check out? We are back to base one with where to stay! Too many choices and after my original post I am even more at a loss of where we should stay. I think we've narrowed down the areas to stay, east and the south. Any more insight (from anyone) would be appreciated. We are going to be there for 9 days and are looking to spend around $1300 (including tax/fees). I think it is do-able. Thanks everyone for your input!

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing where to stay

Aloha Bride,

Are you planning on $1300 just for a place to stay, or everything? For accomodations, that comes out to around $125-150 per night? You will probably have the best chance of finding something in that price range on the east shore, but you may have some luck in the Poipu area. It may not be oceanfront, but you never know. In October, you could stay just about anywhere, but the surf on the north shore will be starting to get rough. If you haven't already, take a look at www.vrbo.com for listings of condos available for rent. Good luck!

Galena, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing where to stay

$1300 for accomodations. I've checked VRBO...so many choices. Thanks for the info.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing where to stay

Bride2be74,

I'm not sure what type of accommodations 74 year old brides are looking for, but................!!!! We are staying at Embassy Resort at Poipu for 7 nights and then moving up to Sealodge condos at Princeville for last 5 nites a little after you leave. The Sealodge units are in your price range and many are ocean front with great views. If you are interested in these, let me know as I researched them for a month and have detail info on at least 20 units there.

Tacoma, WA
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing where to stay

Bride2be,

Keep an eye on e-bay and skyauction. I have found some incredible deals there. We stayed at the Lawaii Resort last September for $300 (week)and had a really nice one bedroom condo. I think splitting it up and staying on both sides of the island is a really good idea. It can be awfully time consuming trying to make the right decision. Don't bother with the Makai condo on skyauction it got terrible reviews. To bad it goes sooooo cheap.

Rebecca