We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel Gear

Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel Gear

Hello,

First we want to thank everyone, especially Denny and Janet for all of the wonderful advice and suggestions that will be sure to make our trip more enjoyable! EVERYONE who has responded to our many questions has given us much to think about! With 18 hours to go, this may be my last post before we leave...(yeah right)

I found a snorkel set that looks fairly decent at Target here in Virginia for around 30$, 20$ without fins. My question is two fold, 1. What kind of prices can i expect for rentals or even purchase on the island, and 2. Will I really need the fins? I've never used them b4, in fact I've never snorkeled before but I am a strong swimmer.

12 hours and all I can do is think about Kauai!!!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel Gear

I would think you can buy snorkel gear at WAlmart, Kmart, Costco, or such for about that price. Renting would be at least that much for their cheapest set. But if you buy a set there, would you pack it home? They do take up lots of room. We have our own gear and tranport it back and forth, but it does take up quite a bit of space.

I would recommend fins. I'm a pretty strong swimmer, too, but fins can be invaluable if you get caught in a current. They also make it easier to glide over the reef and watch the fish without having to kick or use your arms.

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
606 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel Gear

With the new second bag rule and weight restrictions you may just want to rent when you get there. We usually bring our own, but this time we are just bringing our mask and snorkels. The fins are just too much extra weight and the houses we are renting have equipment. If you are going to snorkel for long you will definitely want fins....really helps you get place easier with a lot less work.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel Gear

Chris,

I will give my opinion of the other end of the spectrum. We only pack a mask and snorkel tube, no fins. We snorkel mostly at Tunnels and we sit down beach to the right with the cureent going right to left and then we snorkel cruisin with the current and either get out and walk back or swim slowley against the current. Fins would help coming back against the current, but I have never found a great need for them. I am too clumsy in them and they are too much too pack.

I will suggest trying to get a "dry snorkel tube". Keeps out any water from any waves that may hit you.

Have a great time.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel Gear

I saw snorkel gear at Costco in CA for less than $40 with fins...I can bet the price in Hawaii is similar.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel Gear

We bought our snorkel gear in Kauai last year at Wal-Mart because Costco was out of stock. Got a decent set for around $35. Personally, I like the idea of at least having my own mask and snorkel. I am of the camp that you will definitely need fins. You can either buy those, too, or just rent them. We don't pack that much when we go to Kauai so we bring our fins with us, too.

As others have mentioned, fins will allow you to go where you want without having to use your arms much.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel Gear

The problem with buying a packaged snorkel set is the the included mask may or may not fit you properly and may leak. Believe me, nothing is more unpleasant than a leaky mask. We bought the set from Costco just for the fins and snorkel; it's a good deal, about 1/2 the regular retail price. (The fins are short enough to fit into the average carry-on but do take a lot of space.

If you rent your mask will be fitted by an expert. You might even want to buy a mask here and keep it for the future. (My best-fitting one - and I'm very hard to fit - cost me all of $25.) Rent fins and snorkel. (Although a snorkel is easy to fit in luggage.)

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel Gear

Be sure to wear something protective on your feet under your fins, to avoid blisters from the fins that maybe your feet are not used to wearing--whatever protective footwear that might be.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel Gear

Snorkel gear:

As visitors to Kauai, or any other of the Hawaiian islands.

For snorkeling, we would bring our own masks and snorkels and dive gloves, and de-fogger. But we would rent the fins.

Indeed the fins are too large to pack, and we travel very light.

However, a very general rule when swimming in the ocean, especially due to our currents, is ALWAYS, ALWAYS WEAR FINS.

We have snorkeled and or dove, much of the caribbean, tonga, tahiti, australia, and the great barrier reef, and catlina island. We are PADI certified divers, and , please, please, use fins when snorkeling, unless at lydgate, where that is more of a swimming pool within rock walls.

For ease of travel and if you are not planning on doing any snorkeling except for your visit, you might as well rent. Inexpensive. We would rent our fins at brenneckes in poipu, but snorkel bob's is also a good deal.

We, however, purchase high quality masks and snorkels, and other dive gear including split fins.

You, as a visitor snorkeler do not need all that, but if you rent or purchase make sure the snorkel gear fits properly and does not leak.

I cannot imigined how fins would be awkward, unless someone puts them on, and tries walking across the sand....which is a big no..no.

Just a tip: calm water.

Have your mask and snorkel in place, and walk in facing the ocean , carrying your fins. About waist deep, relax, and look down into the water, and put your fins on. This is NOT hard.

When coming out of the water. When you get to where you can touch the sandy bottom and walk, Again relax, take your fins off and walk out. We look over our shoulders, back at the ocean to check out any wave action that might be approaching.

Fins give you a great deal more added power to move thru the water if you need it. Bare feet do not.

Fins are important also for your safety. We are not once in a while visitors, and have had a great deal of experience in the oceans thru much of the world, and that includes the great barrier reef and coral sea.

Your choice, as to what you wish to practice as far as ocean safety, it entirely up to the individual.

Denny

Kauai
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel Gear

I always rent a vacation rental condo when in Kauai and there's always a set of fins and boogie boards, beach mats and chairs etc in the closet. If not you can buy them cheap at the ABC stores. (They are in almost every town and usually have better stuff than Costco.)

When you're done just leave them in the closet for the next guest. :)

10. Re: Snorkel Gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 10:17