We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

So, this is only for day 1, but I promise the reports get shorter...

Day 1 – Kapaa / Lydgate / Wailua

* First impressions – since we got in after dark, we had to wait till morning to really see Kauai… so we woke up and walked over to Lydgate beach - after hearing that the great beaches were north and south, we were pleasantly surprised by this very nice beach… perfect for a morning stroll and a great introduction to Kauai…

* Beach Photos – we took our requisite first beach photos – so here's the dilemma… do you take the "swimwear on the beach" pictures on the first day when you’re in shape but a bit pale, or wait till the last day when you’re tan, but have spent two weeks getting fat and lazy… truly one of life’s great questions… we'll take both...

* Aloha Beach Resort – needed a place to crash for the night before heading to Kuhio Shores on the South Shore so we stayed at ABR… for $109/night this was much nicer than we expected… if you’re looking for a central place to stay, this would be a pretty good place for a family to stay with kids – nice pool/spa, and right next to maybe the best kids beach on the island (Lydgate)

* Kountry Kitchen for breakfast – excellent pancakes, great service, and quite affordable… our kind of place…

* Snorkeling at Lydgate – great calm place to practice and get used to snorkeling… saw some pretty cool fish (that we thought only existed in aquariums in Indy ;-))… water temp was cool but comfortable… went with Snorkel Bob’s for the snorkel gear – I got the prescription goggles since I didn’t want to wear contacts and it was well worth it (but pricey: $40/week)… Snorkel Bob Cares :-)

* Bubbas Burgers for lunch – mandatory stop at Bubbas… short wait, good burgers, affordable, nice folks – nice touch to be able to sit at a bar overlooking the ocean across the street… and despite their slogan, we didn't feel cheated :-)

* Wailua Falls – very, very cool… got here about 1:30pm, which was apparently perfect timing, because the sun was hitting the falls just right and there was a great rainbow from the spray…

* Hike to the bottom of Wailua Falls – ignored the warning signs (we took the trail to the right of the lookout and came back up the left), put on some good hiking sandals, got some good hiking sticks (a MUST on the way down) and began the trek down – the warnings are justified… we didn’t have any trouble, but I’d only attempt this if you are fairly agile, have really good shoes and it is fairly dry – but make no mistake, it is worth the trip – at the top you're a spectator, and at the bottom you really experience them… very cool, and I promise we only said “d’plane! d’plane!” one time...

* On to the South Shore… hopped in our yellow convertible (very cool, and worth every penny – more commentary later) and headed to Poipu… by the way – the weather was just as every one suggested – forecast was for showers, but entire day was perfect – clouds blowing through all day, a sprinkle at 3:00pm or so…

* Got to our condo at Kuhio Shores 412… wow… info and pics later…

* Pretty much wiped out at this point… called in an order to Brick Oven Pizza, picked it up and ate on the lanai of the condo… quite good pizza and even better view… could not have asked for a better first day in paradise…

Link Pictures (best viewed FULL size - look for the Full Size magnifying glass)...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Should have said "Link to Pictures"...

Link to Pictures (best viewed FULL size - look for the Full Size magnifying glass)... …photobucket.com/albums/…

dallas
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Thanks Kev, great pics, can't wait for more. We leave next month for our 2nd trip there. Loved the North Shore so staying up there this trip. Great 1st day report!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Thanks for the report! Great pics. Looking forward to the rest of the report.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,611 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

You have a great eye for the camera. Can't wait for more photos and report!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Hey Kev,

That really wasn't very long. I know I love reading the details. So you don't have to keep them short on my account. ;) Well done...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,640 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Wonderful photos - and actually a quick report . . . will await the next installment. mahalo! :)

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

I also thought it wasn't too long...I think the "Bullet style" writing made it easier to read and quicker for those perhaps looking for specific items of interest. It was focused and filled with great detail...I can't wait to try the restaurants you mentioned and I thought it was an excellent tip to mention the time of day that the sun was on the falls for catching a rainbow maybe too!

Now I'll go look at the pics that everyone is raving about!

Thanks, Tanja :)

Sparks, NV
Level Contributor
406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing your first day in Kaua'i with us. Can't wait for the rest.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Great first day! Great pictures (great choice of camera). I'll have to try going to the falls around that time next time. I've never been there to see the rainbow in the spray.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 7-21 Trip Report (Part 1 of many...)

Love, love , love you photos. Great camera! ... and cameraman.