We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Hi,

I hope my question won't seem dumb, but I would love some information about flying to Kaui as far as how the time change affects you and your sleeping, etc. My husband and I are going for the first time in the summer. Our flight leaves Houston at 11 in the morning and we'll get to Kauai by 4:30 (will change planes in Honolulu) or so in the afternoon--Hawaii time (of course). We've flown to England before, so we knew to try and sleep in the way over (b/c we landed in the morning over there).

For our Hawaii flight, I know we're going to feel like it's late in the evening and time for bed by the time we get there, yet we still need to get our car, drive to the condo, and be awake for a few hours. I'm concerned about how best to get some rest, adjust to the time change, etc. If you can offer some ideas and suggestions or tell me what works best for you, please share. If you have any tips for flying back, I'd appreciate those as well. When we fly home, we won't leave Kauai until 6:00 in the evening. We'll basically be back home the "next" day. Thank you!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

You'll be OK. You'll probably be tired from traveling, but a nap on the plane will help. Flying west you usually don't jet lag. The best part is, the next day you'll be up with the sun and ready to go. (You will be ready to go to bed early, though.)

When you leave Kaua`i, sleep as much as you can on the plane.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Hi Lee4,

Going there isn't too bad, it's the coming back east that really messes with you. You will be too excited going there (especially your first time) to worry about getting too tired to make through getting your car and to your hotel. Once you get to your hotel/condo it really hits you that have been up for what feels like forever and you will just crash. We like to take advantage of the fact that we will now be up early every morning and we are usually asleep by 9 or 9:30 each night. The first few days we often find ourselves needing a short nap or some down time.

On the way back the best thing will be to try and sleep on the plane which is easier said then done for most. It takes us a few days to get back to east coast time.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

depending on time of year ( Hawaii has no daylight savings) it will be 5 or 6 hours....

Flying east to west there is littel if any problem and it is all done in the daylight. In addition most vacationers are a little excited and this helps to adjust. Arriving in full daylight you will scarsely sence the differnece. Hint.... set your watch ahead at takeoff... and live according to arrival time.. NOT IAH...

The return flight is not much of a problem unless its at night... which is more disruptive to your sleep pattern IE; your trip to England which was an overnight 6 hour change. ( hey I fly to Zurich from Kona...try 11 hours change !!!!

The class of service you select is also helpful as fresh air is inducted in front and the furthur back you sit the more stale, dry and noisy it gets. I have a standard rule 1 to 6 hours coach 7to 12 Business Over 13 hours first class

Also sit on the left side of the aircraft to avoid sun bake going over.

So...there will be no problem...

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Hi Neighbor -- We do a siimilar trip about once a year only connect through Dallas, instead of Houston. As others have said, the trip over isn't bad. We usually try to stay up as late that first night as we can, so that we don't wake up at 4 in the morning. In a couple of days we are on Kauai time. The trick on the way back is to get some sleep on the long haul part of the trip. If your flight out of Lihue doesn't leave until 6 p.m., that's good. Many mainland flights leave earlier and the problem is you can't go to sleep until you get tired and by that time you are almost there. Get one of those little inflatiable neck pillows -- helps a lot if you are in coach. Also, sometimes I take an Ambien tablet with me for that overnight flight, so that I can get to sleep. We are still usually zombies for a couple of days anyway, but Kauai is worth it.

California
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

I always have trouble sleeping when I first get to Kauai. I try not to sleep on the plane over. An AM/PM that first night helps but I still wake up early. I have now discovered that I'm glad my body clock does that because I get more time to enjoy the island. I love getting up early and going to bed early. As we all know Kauai is not a late night party island.

For your trip home you will most likely sleep on the plane. Get some ear plugs or a good bose headset and that should help muffle any noise from chatty passengers.

Have a wonderful, relaxing trip.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

We sleep as much as we can on the flight over, this way we can stay up till 10pm Hawaii time (4am east coast time).We still wake up by 5am Hawaiian time. The first 2 days we adjust by lying around on the beaches and do relaxing things then by day 3 we are ready to do hiking,biking,snorkeling and all other outdoor activities...

When we leave Kauai we always take the 10pm flight out and sleep as much as we can on the flight.We usually arrive 4pm eastern time.Our flights are approx. 10-12 hours depending on stops...

May I suggest on both flights a small flight pillow and own small blanket, ear plugs,eye shades and poss. sleep aid...Get as comfy as your seat will allow!!

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Aloha Lee4:

What I do is, while my body is still on mainland time, I schedule early morning activities, or longer drives like to Waimea Canyon EARLY on in my trip because I will need to get up early and it won't be a problem. When you first get there, you'll be so excited you won't be ready for bed!

jc

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Like most, we have experienced few problems going and we are coming from the East Coast. We just go with the flow of early rising and enjoy the sunrise with a cup of coffee and go to bed early. We always have jet lag problems once we get back. The red eye back leaves us very groggy and disoriented for a day or so.

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Hello Everyone

Thank you all for replying--I feel much better after reading your posts!! It sounds like the flight schedule we have can actually work in our favor, so that's a relief. Maybe I can nap some on the plane on the way over but will not take anything to "help" me since I'll want to stay up some once I get to Kauai. I tend to go to bed early and wake up early anyway--I've got a toddler! He won't be with us, but my sleep schedule tends to stay the same, no matter what. I like the ideas about just waking up early and going to see things that would work well in the early morning.

I've got a blanket, pillow, and noise cancelling headphones, so I will put all of that to use, as needed. On the way home, I'll do my best to sleep on the Honolulu/Houston flight--I've got something from my doctor that can help a bit. We still have another flight after Houston, to a small town in Louisiana (we're not flying out of AR b/c our child will be with grandparents). I'm hoping we can sleep some on the long flight so that we'll feel ok once we get back to our car. We have an hours drive from the airport to the grandparents' and want to be awake for that.

Thank you all again for being so nice and giving me such great information. I've been reading this board frequently since we started planning this trip and get lots of help from all of you!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Kauai--first time and need some help

Stay up till at least 9 or 10 that first evening. Try and nap some on the plane but don't sleep for hours.

Try and sleep several hours on the way home. Our flight arrives the next morning, like yours.