We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Oakland
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Just to add to the changes for us, we're arriving on Kauia in the eveing and heading north rather than south!

With a 7:30 PM arrival and a rental jeep not feeling very secure with our luggage are there any thoughts as to where to pick up a few provisions or a quick take-out meal on the way to Ha'ena?

How long might it take us to get there at that hour?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Your best bet is to pick up a few things at Safeway in Kapaa. They also have good takeout items like chicken and sushi.

A good suggestion someone mentioned here is to have one person get the jeep while the other waits for the bags. The car person comes back to the other side of the airport to pick up the bags and you have saved 30 minutes.

From the airport to Haena is one hour, maybe a bit longer. Be careful driving over the little one lane bridges late at night.

Oakland
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Thanks.

We always use that car rental trick where ever we go, both at pick up and drop off. It saves tons of time let alone dragging the bags on and off the shuttle.

Safeway is probably our best bet. I had hopes for something a little more inspired in Hanalei but I know it's not wise to leave the luggage!

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
624 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Be careful, the road to the north of Kauai is narrow and winding once you are out of lihue.

California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

bhoak:

As you know by reading these posts, Kauai shuts down pretty early. There will probably be a few places in Kapaa you could stop for dinner as long as it is before 9PM, but I would head north before it gets too late. You could stop at Foodland in Princeville or the small market in Ching Young Center and maybe a few places will still be open to get something to eat, but I wouldn't count on it.

PS I was born and raised in Oakland CA. Are you from that Oakland?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

I think jbett's original recommendation was good. Stop at Safeway in Kapa`a for both groceries and take-out.

The road as far as Princeville is not to winding but is rather dark. Beyond P'ville it gets tougher. Just go slow. There should be a white line marking the edge and possibly even reflectors marking the middle. I haven't been up that way in quite a while.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

What about stopping in Hanalei and eating at the Polynesian cafe? Most of the seating is outdoors and there are some tables by the parking area (its on the side where they serve their ice cream and are about 2-4 tables) You may have to wait for a parking spot closer by and as well wait for a table but if you did find a spot... you'd enjoy a good meal..and be outside..with a wonderful view of your jeep. :) This is good for take out too if you are wanting to get to the property in Haena (love it there). They do have a small grocery store in Hanalei but we like the one in Princeville a lot better.

We are also under the same deal flying in a bit late and wanting to pick up a few things for the condo or go eat... Most likely we'll be bushed from our flight and I anticipate we'll run into foodland and see how the huli huli rotisserie chickens look - if they look fresh we'll eat that and salad most likely the first night and pick up coffee and breakfast stuff - just light shopping the first night and do the rest another day. I do plan like crazy before we go but then we just play it by ear when we are there... so we don't go crazy buying too much..I like to cook when I'm nice and relaxed- its enjoyable to me but if I'm wiped out from playing hard its nice to go out... so I just have lots of options to when we are there... if the huli huli looks like its been there since 3 we'll drive down to Hanalei for the polynesian cafe... or if we are making good time and its still open.... the hubster will be hankering for a Duanes Ono burger in Anahola which if you got the right spot would be easy for that wonderful Jeep view.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,057 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

JJB, we were thinking that nothing in Hanalei would be serving at the time the OP would arrive. With a 7:30 PM arrival, by the time they get any checked bags and get their rental car they'd not be on the road before 8:00 PM at least. It's going to be over an hour before they reach Hanalei, and most places around here only serve until 9:00 latest. It might even take them longer since they're not used to driving our dark roads.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Yeah you are right.. may be too late by the time they get there.. I thought we did have a late meal there one night though like at 9pm.. but I could be mistaken. Does anyone know their hours... I tried to find it but they don't have a website. Sorry gang I should've double checked.

J

Oakland
Level Contributor
347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Wow! That sounds like such a great idea!

I love the thought of a "jeep view" meal.

So maybe the thing is to look for that in Kapa'a.

Ideas?

We've been traveling to Kauai for almost 20 years now but this is such a very different trip for us.

We have a very distinct "first night" ritual for the South Shore with our kids. Only one of those- who is just about to graduate from college, will be joining us this time (thanks ATA!).

We haven't been in a few years and thought maybe it was time to shake things up.

I hope we're right and don't feel out of out element too much!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening Flight Arrival Suggestions

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Polynesia Cafe" at Ching Young Village in Hanalei town is open until 9pm seven days a week.

Malama Pono,

Janet