We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you going nuts with anticipation?

Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Are you going nuts with anticipation?

I know I am. 2 months until we leave for Kauai.

Daily I try to find new things to keep the craziness at bay reading about Kauai, its history and geography.

My latest online adventures have taken me to Google Earth.

http://earth.google.com/

It's a free download and you can explore the ENTIRE Island of Kauai to your hearts content whenever you like. I love that you can rotate the camera around to see from all points of the compass.

People have uploaded tons of pictures into the system so you can peek at the places you will be seeing. You can even put little push pins into the map with labels of the places you plan on seeing.

Have fun exploring! Wish I was there :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

<<"Are you going nuts with anticipation?">>

YES!!!!!!!

Will you be on Kauai the first week of September? Some of us are trying to meet up - see the post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k20688…

3Chihuahuas

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

We think that the get together will be for early cocktails on Sept 3 or 4 somewhere in Kapa'a so it is convenient for those up North and down South.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

And...YES...we have 60 days until departure and am very excited to get there.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

I'm going to peek at Google Earth when I'm finished here ~ thanks for the idea.

Today I marched into the local library, did a search for Hawaii, and brought home a pile of novels all related to or set in Hawaii. Thanks to the person here who gave me the idea ~ forget who it was. I decided to tackle the big puppy first and I started Michener's "Hawaii" this afternoon. Someone tell me it picks up, please!

Anyway, that's how I'm going to wile away the next 17 days.

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

Stick with it, I promise it does get better. I must have started that novel 3 times before I was able to get through the first couple of chapters!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

Okay, I'll take your word for it and plow on.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

I'll agree it starts of slow and you have to stick with it. I started reading it last Sept and didn't finish it until 2 weeks ago. (I did go a few months without reading it at all). But it was worth it.

I read West of Then last week and just started Shark Dialogues. We are almost at the 5 week mark and I am just as excited as the first time we visited Kauai!

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

6 more days...and yes, we are going nuts!! Last night we were lounging around our house & we all said "hey, next Wedensday night...we'll be lounging around our hotel pool & bar in Kauai!"...and this morning it was..."wow, next Thursday will be our first full day on Kauai!" So the anticipation is climbing for sure!

We've really enjoyed Google earth and it's been a great geography lesson for our 10 yr. old...we "travel" about once a week to places she is learning about in school or where we may have friends/family far away. I like the feature of people being able to load up their own pictures...gives you lots of different perspectives.

Tanja :)

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

yep, we're down to 8 days!

google earth is awesome...however, they just added a new feature to their online version called "Street View". It's actually pretty creepy. We live in Lexington, KY and we're one of the very few cities that have this feature...you can literally look at your front door...and so can everyone else!

davis,ca
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are you going nuts with anticipation?

OK we're down to 3 days and I can't get enough of this board. It seems like I am addicted or insane. I am so glad that I found this site as the info is much more salient than reading a book. Although the books have filled the gaps nicely. Google earth here I come.