We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

Okay, I need to know how hot and humid it gets in north, east and south Kauai in late July and early August. Have found some nice places right on the ocean, but my wife HATES humidity. Are ceiling fans and trade winds enough to cool a 1 bedroom + kitchen condo, or is A/C a must during this period?

Sweating out your answer.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

I would think that it would depend on how much cross-breezes your unit has. Be aware that if there is no A/C in the unit, even the breezes won't be enough to get rid of the humidity. Since it's relatively warm and humid all year round, there might be a musty smell in units without A/C.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

I have been in both July and August on the Northshore - between the fans and tradewinds, I felt fine . . . BUT what I have come to realize here on the forums the topic of AC is highly subjective to personal opinion . . . if you are use to AC, you will want it seems to be the response. Good luck! :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

My recommendation is to stay north or east at that time of year. Oceanfront will get the most breeze, but as was said, you want cross-ventilation. Right now, early July, has been rather hot and was humid a couple of days when we lost the trades or they were very mild. They're back today, and it's much more comfortable. If your wife REALLY hates humidity, you should plan on getting a/c, but you may have a hard time finding a unit with it. In Kapa`a (east), Islander and Kaua`i Coast Resort both have a/c. KCR is especially nice. In Princeville (north), the new Westin probably has a/c, and Hanalei Bay Resort might. jbett will know.

California
Level Contributor
36,418 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

I am a big fan of a/c. I have been there in July and early August. I wanted it. The North Shore can get a little sticky. Last July there just weren't any trades to cool me down. You will get lots of different opinions, but that is mine.

Where are you looking to stay? Some places right on the ocean might be OK. I think Kuhio Shores would get good trades. They are in Poipu. On the NS there's Westin, some Puu Poa units and Hanalei Bay Resort. All of these places have a/c.

Sparks, NV
Level Contributor
406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

We were just there two weeks ago (at HBR) and definitely needed the A/C to sleep comfortably at night. As an added bonus, it drowned out the sound of the roosters crowing at 2am, 3am, 4am, and 5am.

cmd
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
511 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

If staying on the north shore, try looking into some of the newer condo complexes for A/C. We found a VERY reasonably priced condo on VRBO.com at the Plantation at Princeville for this month. It has A/C and a great pool in which to cool off. No view, but a worthy trade-off for an budget priced condo with all of the creature comforts.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

OK...we are staying at Maloaa Bay at Giligan's Beach Cottage in 2 weeks and it has no A/C...now you have me worried...we live in Houston and are used to the humidity and heat...but now I don't know what to think!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

When I was in the North Shore this past May, I needed AC. I am not used to humidity (I live in Vegas and its dry here) so having the AC helped me out without feeling sticky.. I am just an AC fan :o)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

This is a very subjective issue. We are currently staying in Poipu (for 15 days). We have spent two days visiting the north shore and one whole day on the east side. We have not needed A/C at all in Poipu. In fact, I've slept under the covers every night here in Poipu. When we spent the day at HBR, it was extremely humid and sticky. Today, we had lunch in Kapaa, golf at Wailua and dinner at Hukilau Lanai. It was very hot and sticky on the Wailua Golf course except when we were right on the ocean. I'm one of the folks that never needs A/C, even in Haena last July, but with the weather this week in Princeville and Kapaa, I think A/C would have been welcomed!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,987 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To A/c or not to A/C is the question.

not only subjective, but weather varies. This last week, everyone here (farther south) is complaining about the oppressive heat. I need to believe the weather won't be like this throughout the summer.

Late July and early August does fall in the absolutely most uncomfortable time of year in Hawai'i -- through the end of September.

And you are from Canada ...

I live here, in a house with breezes, but am having trouble sleeping ... am using full to medium fan right over the bed.

Bottom line, you don't know if your visit will fall when the trades are blowing or not, so plan for the worst; hope for the best.