We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

mattapoisett, ma
Level Contributor
48 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

My husband and I will be travelling to Kauai next Feb. with our kids (ages 11 and 8) and would love to stay at a condo on the beach but with a pool for a week. We are thinking the South Shore for the calmer beaches but are having trouble finding a place. Also, we are interested in finding a small bed and breakfast that could teach them a little more about Hawaiian culture (perhaps on a farm or in a non-touristy area) Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

I cannot help you with the B&B question. Both of the B&Bs in Poipu are no longer in business. There are some on the east and north shore but I don't know the names.

Condos on the south shore, with pool, close to the beach? I would recommend either Poipu Kai or Nihi Kai condos. They are very close to Brennecke's Beach, reasonably priced and have pools. I personally like the Manualoha section of Poipu Kai. Building 2 of Nihi Kai is right near the pool with a nice ocean view. There are several avenues to rent these units. www.vrbo.com is one. I also use these wesbsites:

www.ParrishKauai.com

www.KauaiRentals.com

also, www.SuiteParadise.com rents Poipu Kai.

Kiahuna Plantation is right on a great beach but the pool is across the road. If you can get a place at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, they have a nice pool and great beach but those are time shares. I've seen some of those go up for rent from time to time.

We rent a small house on Baby's Beach annually. Great beach for kids but no pool.

Coarsegold...
Level Contributor
270 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

I've no experience with the many B&B's on Kauai, but my wife & I have stayed at four different condo locations... Waipouli Beach Resort (WBR) and Kauai Coast Resort (KCR) in south Kapa'a, and Prince Kuhio and Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club (M-Waiohai) in Poipu area. The best is WBR (Newer, Luxury decor, Great pool area) followed closely by M-Waiohai and KCR. All three of these top rated condos have two bedroom units for $275-350 a night, while one bedroom units with a sofa-bed in living area would be about $175-250 (1-Bdrms are Not available at M-Waiohai).

The Prince Kuhio condos (PK) are a little gem of a place near Lawai beach, a nice small beach with excellent snorkeling, on the road to Spouting Horn. Next to Prince Kuhio park, they are privately owned units with many one bedrooms (with sofa-bed) renting from $160-200 per night. They have a pool and BBQ, with nice tropical landscaping and Koi pond. Many of the owners have updated their units with upgrades in furnishings, flooring, etc. Check sites like VRBO.com and do a search on-line for PK rental agents who help owners with rentals. Be sure to look at photos of the units and their views, if any. Some have partial ocean views from indoors or the lanai, overlooking PK park.

Enjoy your trip to paradise... Aloha.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Also, we are interested in finding a small bed and breakfast that could teach them a little more about Hawaiian culture (perhaps on a farm or in a non-touristy area"

While I am not familiar with many B+B's here on island - I would caution you when looking at rentals and B+B's to make sure that they are legal and not one of our many illegal properties. The "VDA" (vacation destination areas) are where you will find most of the above board and legal rentals.

We don't have any "farms" as you know them in MA so I'm afraid that isn't an option here.

A couple of wonderful places though to visit that will give you a good background on Hawaiian culture are Kamokila Hawaiian Village in Wailua across from Opaeka'a Falls - and also Limahuli Gardens up in Ha'ena on the North Shore.

Good luck!

Malama Pono,

Janet

mattapoisett, ma
Level Contributor
48 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

Thanks so much for all your help. I think we will stay at the Honu Kai (a small condo on the coast) and are still trying to find something on the northern coast.

I really appreciate the recommendations! It's my first time using Trip advisor and I'm hooked. If you need any help finding somewhere to stay on Cape Cod - you have found your local expert!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

Just a thought - you might want to just stay in one place while you are on Kauai - things are easy to drive to (I think) and sometimes moving is a big hassle with kids. Depends on how long you will be on island - if you are there for a week, often the best rental rates are for a week or longer. Then you could just relax and drive to where you want. Have a great trip! :)

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

We just returned from a wonderful trip to Kauai-also with kids, ages 11 & 16. As another poster mentioned, you may want to find one "home base" place to stay because from the top of the island to the bottom is only about a 90 minute trip. We stayed in the Ali'i Kai condos in Princeville. Not ocean front but ocean view. This is typical of the northern coast because of the geography. The beaches are often accessed through small trails leading from the main road. In contrast the southern side beaches are much more like those you see in CA with wide lawn areas bordering the sand. We liked the north shore contrast and mystery. It does rain a lot more on the north side of the island than the south side. We had daily warm rain but weren't deterred by it; we have other family members who will not stay on the north shore because of the rain. With the rain comes the lush rainforest and extensive greenery everywhere you go. To us it was way worth it. We were constantly exposed to Hawaiian culture on this island. Take the catamaran cruise to the Napali Coast from Port Allen with Catamaran Kahanu - the Captain traces his roots back to the 1500's on the Na Pali Coast and shares wonderful stories with only 18 passengers on his boat with a capacity for 40.Watch Jurassic Park with your kids beforehand to get them excited about the scenery. Talk to the storekeepers in Kapa'a and Hanalei and stop at the fruit stands on the roadside. You will find Hawaiian culture if you venture beyond the typical resorts and into the community. Bring an open mind and open heart and you will share a beautiful experience with your family.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

debby,

I would recommend staying on the south shore in February. Here is a website that shows the surf trends around the island: www.KauaiExplorer.com

But I agree that unless you are staying for 10-14 days, I would stay put in one location. We spent 15 days in one house on our last trip and took several days trips to the north and west shores. We found that moving takes almost a full day and is a waste when you can be enjoying more of the island.

Marti

california
Level Contributor
326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

There is an organic farming community on Kauai, so if that is your interest, you might look into North Country Farms in Kilauea, on the North Shore. They are a bed and breakfast and a working organic farm. It looks like a neat place to stay (there are two small separate houses on the farm grounds)-- I thought about it for our June trip, but changed my mind because we decided to just stay in one place. However, if you want a different type of experience, it might fit the bill.

Another source is a website called www.wwoofhawaii.org, whose focus is sustainable agriculture. This website focuses on connecting workers/volunteers with small farms, and perhaps there is a farm that would welcome your family as visitors. There are a number of farms listed for Kauai.

You might also look into the Steelgrass Farm Chocolate tour. My daughter and I did this tour in June and it was fun and interesting. Adults are 60.00/each but kids 12 and under are free. We tasted lots of interesting fruits, and lots of chocolate. The Steelgrass farm is trying to get a cacao growing cooperative started on the Hawaiian islands.

Also on the North Shore is the Limahuli national tropical botanical garden -- a perfect walking tour for kids; beautiful, and steeped in the history and lore of early Hawaiians.

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

We stayed in the Condo resort at Outrigger Waipouli Beach REsort in Kapa'a, it's on the East side.

We brought a 19, 17, and 10 yr. old who all LOVED the pool area & beach. The ocean isn't swimmable here but there is plenty of beach and little tidepools to get a little wet in.

As for the resort, it has a hug lagoon style, lazy river, pool with two waterslides and 3 jacuzzis...it was kid paradise for my kids.

good luck in your search...oh, and we located it's location cuz it put us about 1/2 way between the south and West sides of the Island.

Tanja

10. Re: Condo and B&B recommendations for kids in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 19:19