We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals - free additional driver

Kamloops, BC
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rentals - free additional driver

I admit it, I am overwhelmed with all the 'deals' on car rentals. I am also concerned about some bad reviews I am reading on some rental agencies. We'll be in Lihu'e Oct 6th to 16th. I want a compact car, free additional driver (spouse) and unlimited mileage. What's my best bet? I'd love the input.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

Some car rentals give free additional drivers to "seniors". We use Costco Alamo and get the free driver. I believe Dollar has a "silver" club that you can join which will give you that option.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

They're all unlimited mileage already. You don't have to worry about a per diem mileage maximum.

As far as free addl. drivers, oftentimes the ones that quote free addl. driver are higher priced to start with. Not always though. You just have to compare the bottom lines.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
609 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

Last year, we rented with Budget using our Costco card - it does not automatically include a 2nd driver like with Alamo.

I called their office and was told that a spouse is automatically considered a 2nd driver at no cost (as long as they are over 25).

In the end, we didnt' use the rental - Alamo came out cheaper in the end.

So, maybe other rental companies have free driver if its a spouse...

lwbc

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

http://discountcarrentalhawaii.com

If you use them to rent Thrifty, there's no fee for an extra driver.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

Dollar has never charged me for an additional driver. Try this promo code when searching on Dollars site: 44863.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

Avis does not charge for spouse as second driver

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

The only time we have had a problem with a second driver charge was when we used Priceline for a rental car. We didn't find out until we arrived in Lihue that they were going to charge us $12 bucks a day extra for me to drive as well as my husband. Since we had to pay upfront, there was no way to get out of it. Bummer.

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

Budget does not charge for a spouse as an extra driver. If you have a corporate account with rental car companies, they may offer free driving to spouse.

Kamloops, BC
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I must have been looking in all the wrong places. Sounds like it will be easier than I first thought. Have checked out all of your suggestions & links, now just have to pick one. I am so excited to be finally getting to Kaua'i. (That's another one off my list.) Have a great day!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rentals - free additional driver

We'll have to check out if Dollar charges or not. On their web-site it is listed as an option. I'll just ask when we get there. I do most of the driving as the DW doesn't want to when we're "away from home".