We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I guess I just don't understand ........

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
I guess I just don't understand ........

I like to read the reviews to see what people are saying about places I know on Kauai. But I can hardly believe some of the stuff I have been reading lately. I just read a review of a condo in Princeville which they gave a very low rating -- why??? Because, it did not have AC and you had to open the windows to stay cool; there were no restaurants or stores on premises; it was situated on a cliff; you have to drive to other parts of the island for things; and food was expensive at the grocery store.

It would seem to me that you would have a clue about these things before you selected this place. If not, who is to blame??

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

Kimocat, I think you will find that a lot of "negative" reviews are first timers and often one timers...whether they found this site after their trip or lurked here without asking questions, who knows. If they worked through a travel agent? An online site? It always comes down to expectations and the fact a lot of spoiled folks have no idea what is real on the islands. It's like raising kids...always an adventure! Those of us who love the islands get a little defensive at times as well.

Just my 2 cents!

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
606 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

I read that same review and thought they should have known these things before they went too. I can't believe people actually go on vacation and know nothing about the place they are going...all it takes is a little research to find the right place for your tastes.

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

Oh Kimocat. I know just what you mean. That's why people should toss out the over the top reviews and toss out the stupid! Not everyone reads TA, though they should. Driving to the other part of the island to do What? Go to the canyon. Well dah! Write this person back and he/she should get her review taken off for being so dumb.

Educate yourself people so you know at least 80% of what to expect. If you know the condo doesn't have a/c and then you gripe, don't come to us. You were warned.

Another gripe I have is when people put a review in 9 months after they left. Some of the information they might be talking about is outdated. I would never write a review later than 1 month after I arrived. I think that helps folks the most.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

Exactly:

We do loads of research on any area that we are going to visit. And I mean loads.

There may be some suprises, but almost every visit we make, from the caribbean to the south pacific, to even the calif. deserts and mainland destinations, we have been as prepared as much as possible.

I have had tourists come up to the concierge or activity desks with no clue as to what part of the island they were staying.

At Brenneckes, they even asked me where poipu beach was located. I pointed out the wide open door, and had them walk a few yards.

When living on the mainland, I would meet people who just returned from Kaui. I asked them where they stayed.....qoute " I dunno, it began with a "K" or a "P".....

They could have been in Cabo, or the Caribbean for all they knew. Point being, it was just a vacation to some island, someplace.

Not one ounce of planning. Just show up at the airplane, fly, and land, and no idea of anything.

Fortunately, the wise travelers are logged on to the TA kauai forum, and learning as much as possible about their upcomming, or even repeat visits.

And, yep, things do change every once in a while.

Good on ya, folks.

Denny

Burlington...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

I also agree with you all. I planned our first trip to Kauai for a year. I was on TA almost daily, soaking up any information I could find. I read every travel book about this amazing island. I treat all vacations that way. It is a chance to learn a new culture, see a new place and I do not want to go into it blind. I now find myself on TA almost daily because I miss it so much, and I am now planning our next trip to Kauai,with our kids this time, in July of 2009.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

Even before we had TA, I did research with books etc before I would go to a destination. If it were important to have a/c, I'd be calling ahead to verify.

I sometimes wonder how people like that gets along in life????

I still do tons of reading and research when we go to Kauai and we've been there before. We leave in one week and I decided to buy Kauai Revealed for a different take on the island....so far, I really like the book.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,932 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

I am a believer that half the fun is getting there! Travelers really need to read up on the areas they are visiting. The condo that kimocat mentioned - that got the nasty review - may have been the perfect condo for someone else. How many times have I told posters to "get a map!" Buy a travel guide, search TA, visit a travel agent ... but for some reason people think that everything they can access on the Internet is true and right. Not!

8. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2008, 21:47
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

I think I was just amazed that someone would post a review that made them look so ignorant. Although I have to say that I saw a worse one not too long ago on one of the Mexico forums. In that review of an AI resort the poster complained about having to walk on hard tile floors, not being upgraded in room category for free, lack of "towel art" and that some of the hotel staff did not speak English. It got one circle only. Some reviews state a lot more about the reviewer than the reviewee(?).

And I agree with you guys about TA -- don't leave home without it!

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
381 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I guess I just don't understand ........

I get a chuckle out of this too...and surprised the person even reported it that way when they clearly could've searched out TA and found out the correct details. Maybe TA will be their friend for their next trip.

I'm almost addicted to TA before a trip... just love all the tips and giving tips where I can... we've all had those not so fortunate trips that we have learned from and its so fun to pass the tips along. We do not really set up itineraries in Kauai when we go but I do gather a ton of info before I leave so if we happen to be in a certain area.. I know where to go for a good swim or a bite to eat.

I'm surprised when I read the ones that say they never made it to the north shore... How can you miss that!