We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

San Diego
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Aloha Everyone,

I'm finally here, and enjoying myself immensely already. I arrived last night and after getting the car and checking in I went out to get some drinks (malibu rum and P-O-G and Smirnoff ICE wild grape..yumm!) and snacks for the room at Foodland up in Kapaa.

I'm at the Marriott Kauai beach club on Kalapaki beach, Kaiolana? Tower... nice room! I would recommend it. I'm in one side of a lockoff unit, perfect for just me. Would be fine for 2 people also. I got a great deal from an owner on eBay; $688 for 7 nights.

I had to adjust to not having something to do today. I lead a busy life and don't relax that easily sometimes. I spent the morning drinking coffee on the lanai, had breakfast, read my book under a tree, had a few drinks (mentioned above - no driving today!), and then had a massage on the beach at 5pm.. perfect time! I highly recommend a massage on the beach, it was sooooooooo nice. I think I might do that again before I leave. I was a happy limp noodle afterward.

I just finished dinner at Duke's.. being alone I thought I would feel uncomfortable, but it was fine. I think I was the only single in the place though. I got there a little later and the restaurant was empty by the time I left. No room left for Hula Pie though... I might have to just do that for lunch one day. :-)

Tomorrow I think I'll head North for the day for snorkeling and whatever the day brings... I hope to find some of those cococards to send home; that would be great! Any "must do" suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!! More as my week progresses... so far I have the inter-island waterfall tour scheduled for Wednesday and I will do one of the boat tours, maybe the same day? We'll see... relaxing and just enjoying myself with no stress takes priority!

Aloha!

Katie

Nacogdoches, Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Glad you made it safely to Kauai. We stayed at the Marriott a few weeks back and had a wonderful time.

If you are planning on heading north be sure to go at least all the way to Hanalei. This was by far our favorite place on the island. It is a pretty long trip from the Marriott (about an hour) but we went back 3 days in a row! Also go about 10 min past town to Tunnels Beach. This is a great place to swim and relax on the beach. If you get to Hanalei early be sure to check out the Wakeup Cafe or Java Kai for breakfast. We also liked Kalypo's for lunch.

In Lihue, other than Dukes, we enjoyed Kalapaki Joe's and the bar at JJ Broilers. JJ's in the shopping center just past dukes (Near the ABC store) and Joe's is across the road from there.

Enjoy your time in Kauai, it goes by too fast!

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
606 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Sounds like you are off to a great start...have fun, breath deep and soak in all that wonderful fresh air.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Katie,

Glad you had a safe trip. Sounds like you are off to a great relaxing start. Thanks for sharing! I'll look forward to reading about your trip.

Closer to the weekend you'll enjoy hearing the live music at Duke's. Have fun!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Glad to hear you are settled and beginning to enjoy paradise.

Be sure to check out the Poipu area too...Sprouting Horn has vendors that sell local made items along with other imported trinkets. You might also want to try Puka Dog while in the area.

I think you will really enjoy the Inter Island waterfall tour. We've done it twice. Be sure to take a jacket or sweater with you as it gets a bit cool after you swim in the waterfall and then go back up in the helicopter.

Can't wait to hear more, we leave in 5 days!

San Diego
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Good Morning!

preslb: Thanks.. I am definitely going all the way up.. to the end of the road at Ke'e to snorkel.. tunnels too!! Thanks for the tips, as I thought I would find someplace up there for breakfast.

Delphi: I think Thursday will be my South day.. last time I was here we went there but not to the vendors at sprouting horn. I am going to check that out today. One nice thing about being alone this trip is that I can diddle daddle at all sorts of little shopping areas and nobody is whining to go.. I like that part.

More later.. coffee is ready! (Vanilla Macadamia Nut)-I'm not sparing details here!

Katie

CA
Level Contributor
361 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

I will be there in 3 weeks. So excited! How has the weather been. I've noticed several posting have mentioned it's been really rainy.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,218 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

felixx, it's been raining at night, very little during the day, unless some weird stuff is going on up north. I think the weather has been pleasant. Cool enough to sleep at night, hot, sunny and dry during the day.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

It has been raining a lot recently....this morning it was raining a bit at my house in Kalaheo and then it was absolutely gorgeous for the rest of the day!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Keep the reports coming. Those of us who have just been there have withdrawl, and want to read all the details.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aloha from Marriott Kauai Beach Club!

Thanks for giving us the nice details. You make traveling single sound so nice. Look forward to your next postings. Have a wonderful time!