We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just curious???

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just curious???

Okay, I am just curious how much money this is costing everyone to go to Kauai. I am taking 5 people for 8 days. I am estimating it is costing me $8,700.

$4,700 for airfare, accomodations & rental car. Bringing $4,000 for spending. That better be enough!!! YIKES!!!!

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just curious???

Having fun is hard work.....and expensive too!

But, aside from air fare (miles thankfully), I can do Kauai much cheaper than 4 hours up the road to Ocean City.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just curious???

Will give you a better answer when we return. We are paying $535 a piece rt airfare or $1070. $900 for one weeks rental and 1,000 for the other is $1,900 plus about $300 for the rental car for two weeks brings us to$3,270. We are not planning on any major activities so, if we can get by with under $3000 for other stuff, like food and gas, for the two weeks, I will be happy. That should bring us in at a little over $6,000 for the two weeks.

Huntington, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just curious???

My family of 5 averaged about $310/day for food on the "high" days. $50 for breakfast, $60 for lunch,$200 for dinner. You can get away with less for non-sit down breakfast.

Port Lavaca, Texas
Level Contributor
612 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just curious???

Here is the break down on our 15 days trip in June. There were only two of us.

Wailua Riverside Hideaway 1099.90

Puanani House in Hanalei 1354.87

Capital One (refund-Points) -314.11

Rental Car (National) 345.15

United Air 1354.98

Gas 101.32

Dinning Out 251.89

Groceries 279.41

Misc/gifts 441.77

Total 4940.18

We did a lot of cooking at our houses...but we enjoy doing that. More relaxing for us.

Here is a link to my blog I kept. It will give you an idea of what we were doing.

http://kauai2008-susie.blogspot.com/

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just curious???

Air, car & condo - Maui/Kauai for two weeks $5000. Haven't bought food, tours + misc. yet.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just curious???

Oops - that was for two.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just curious???

You can do a whole lot of things on Kauai that does not involve spending loads of dinero on activities.

That is if you enjoy what nature has provided for free, or at very low costs.

We also, as visitors, bbq'd our dinners and made breakfasts at the condo at poipu kai.

Poipu Kai ran us about $ 140. to 150.00 per night, and we stayed in the poipu sands or manualoha sections the last two times that we visited. Very nice.

Now we do not do very many paying activities, except for $ 20.00 to solo kayak up the huleia river, and about $ 50.00 to kayak the hanalei river and bay. Two person kayaks.

Erica last week kayaked the 17 miles of the Napali, and that was a bit expensive. But, that is only once a year deal.

we did pay for a Capt. Andy sunset shorkel napali cruise with capt. Andy, and that was since Erica's daughter and her new hubby were visiting. Erica also wanted to get the sun on the napali cliffs, in the late afternoon.....our many other napali trips were all in the mornings.

Otherwise, we go to different beaches, hike many of the trails, snorkel, etc.

So, it just depends on where you want to stay, and how much you want to spend eating out, and doing fee related activities.

Denny

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just curious???

Hey thats not bad!

I just went to two Tahitian islands; Moorea & Bora Bora for my honeymoon and for 7 nights this trip costed us $10,300 and that didn't include any over the top luxuries.

I am heading to Kauai for four nights on Sept. 17th for a wedding and will be happy that I can pay for expenses in USD and not Pacific Francs (XPF). I truly felt that in Tahiti, our currency was a joke.

Yay for Hawaii!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,056 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just curious???

Our last trip to Kauai was for one week/3 people and it was round $3000, give or take a few hundred dollars. The only activity we paid for was Smith's luau . . . usually ate dinner out, but had breakfast at the condo/packed lunch for the beach. But I am a budget traveler - it is harder to do with a larger group. Good luck! :)

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
307 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just curious???

Our price for my wife and I in late Oct/early Nov for 8 nights (traveling from Michigan)is:

US Air: $1298

Sealodge D5: $1392.09

Midsize Alamo car: $ 250.41

Total is $2940.50

Including activities:

2 rounds of golf: $250

DW Spa Treatments while I golf: $350

Four to five nights eating out(Dukes $70, Keokis $60,Beachhouse $80, Tidepools $100): roughly $350

Dinner Sail:$200

Surf Lessons: $100

Total activities = $1250

Grand Total = 4190.50

We have certainly gone to Kauai much cheaper by staying at the Islander on the Beach and cut out some activities. You can eat fast food every night and save tons of cash. It's all about what you want to spend! There is so much to do that requires no money at all( Hike, Snorkel, lay in the sun, people watch in Hanalei...). Just do it!

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI