We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Kauai

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Kauai

I know that I read info on moving to Kauai and someone mentioned a book to read but I can't seem to find that information today. Can anyone shed some light for me?? Thanks!

South Bend
Level Contributor
243 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Kauai

"So You Want to Live in Hawaii" by Toni Polancy

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Kauai

Thank you!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Kauai

I'm jealous. I want to move to Kauai. Maybe I can sell off everything and be a beach bum! I know the wife would love it!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Kauai

We have 2 1/2 years (DH retires from the Feds) to investigate the options.

We looked at places when we were there earlier this month and we were pleasantly surprised that the prices are cheaper than where we curently live in CA.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Kauai

I'll be more than happy to share our experience with moving here.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Kauai

Good on ya, and pleased to hear that you are moving over.

We also read that same book, well prior to moving over, and it has some good tips. I think we gave it to another person before we moved, havent seen it of late.

Prior planning is important, and you all are already familar with the island.

Prices on some properties are dropping, and that is good for new purchasers.

One of the major tips, stressed in not only that book, but also by everyone that we talked to, was to rent for a year.

Learn more about the area that you want to live, and what it is really like. Big difference than just visiting for a week or so.

Many who come over, do not stay, some make it less than a year. Others have come over for a visit,and just never went back to the mainland. Big diversification.

We planned, and investigated thoroughly, and still had some surprises. Although the actual moving senario was painless.

There are some threads with a long list of things to think about, and make the move simple. At least what made our move easy, and no problems.

We can send those to you by pm if you wish, without repeating everything again here.

The previous threads should be a great help. But , you will be learning more once you arrive and get acclimated to actually being a resident.

Congrats...

Dednny and Erica

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Kauai

pzp said:

"I'll be more than happy to share our experience with moving here"

I would rather you share your spare bedroom so we don't have to shell out 1/2 to a million bucks for a place of our own...lol.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Kauai

BrightonBill....I'll consider it!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Kauai

while a book is nice...it is one persons opinion...

Read the book.... but realize that facts and figures may be 3 to 5 years out of date.

Best is to come and rent a place for a good 6 months to a year......experience is the best teacher... your experience not ours.

maui
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Kauai

"So You Want to Live in Hawai'i" is a much more than one person's opinion. Toni Polancy is an old-school journalist. She offers well-researched hard facts next to actual stories of those who have made the move. Some are stories of success, some are not. She leaves it up to the reader to form opinions based on what they have read.

The most recent printing was earlier this year. It was a reprint, not a new edition, although we did update much information using the most recent BDEDT data that was available at that time.

For full disclsoure, I have worked with Toni on this book. But I have worked on many other projects that I would not recommend. I design them, I don't write them.