We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

We are coming back to Kauai again next May/June for 2 weeks. Our first choice is to stay in a cottage on the north shore (even have a couple specific ones picked out). But with the uncertainty with the permit situation, we're going to book a condo as a back-up. Based on our budget, we've pretty much narrowed it down to Sealodge, but wanted to see if anyone had specific feedback on any of these units.

Thanks!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

we're staying in D5 from Oct 30th - November 7th. I researched the condo and have heard nothing but great things. From the Pics on Aahh Aloha it looks richly decorated. If you want to wait, I'll send you a review of the condo while we're there.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

Forgot to mention that we've stayed in E2 on a previous visit which is nice but I prefer not to be on the ground floor. It makes me nervous to keep my doorwall open during the night. Great views, a great location, and $150/night make Sealodge unbeatable!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

Forgot to mention that we've stayed in E2 on a previous visit which is nice but I prefer not to be on the ground floor. It makes me nervous to keep my doorwall open during the night. Great views, a great location, and $150/night make Sealodge unbeatable!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

Also, my brother and his fiancee are staying in B-12 for $110/night during the same dates so we'll review that too upon out arrival.

Southeast US
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

Although I appreciate your concern about permitted cottages, I urge you to reconsider this plan. Sealodge units are individually owned and with tourism so significantly down on the island condo owners may be struggling. Tying up two prime weeks "as a back-up" so that you can assuage your anxiety could cost them a real booking. I'm not sure of the timeline for the permitting process; it is different for destination areas and non-destination areas, but you can check the county website for this information and ask the owners or agency representing the cottages if they are in compliance thus far. If you don't trust them to answer honestly, why would you consider renting from them?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

gonetoHi,

The owners of the cottages have been very up front and honest about the permit process and that is why they are unwilling to even book anything after March 2009 until they actually have the permit. Most have now applied for the permits, but they are totally at the mercy of the county government. If the county wants, they can take up until March 2009 to make a decision on whether or not to issue the non-conforming use permit for rentals outside the VDA.

I understand your concern about us "tieing up" a condo as a backup, but under the circumstances we really have very little choice. If one or more of the cottages we're looking at get their permits within a reasonable time, we will immediately cancel the condo in accordance with the terms of the applicable contract. These condo owners are operating a business in which they assume the risk of any renter cancelling their reservation. As long as the renter follows the terms of the contract and pays any required fees as a result of the cancellation, that's just a part of doing business.

St. Paul, MN
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

How was D-5?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

We've stayed at Sealodge several times, but not at any of the units you listed. Most recently (February '08) we were in C-8 (very nice, but hauling maxed-out suitcases up three floors was a test for this geezer). Also, it has a fairly small lanai...offset by beautiful window views)). Prior to last year I could find records for J-1 (a wonderful unit, with the caveat it is on the ground level) and D-7 (nice, but the furnishing weren't quite up to the previously mentioned condos; appears to have been substantially upgraded since our stay).

In general, of the buildings you mentioned, B and F have much more restricted views (if you haven't seen it, this website will illustrate: http://www.sealodge-kauai.com/Catalog.htm).

About the only other consideration that comes to mind is that we've had friends complain about noise from above; all the units we've stayed in were free of this worry.

Good luck with the weather. Luckily, it's always been near-perfect for us, but have had a couple of dreary near misses.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

D-5 is a great condo with a great view! It's on the 2nd floor and the lanai overlooks the ocean toward Annini Beach and Kilauea Light House. You get the same view from the bed. You don't even have to lift your head off the pillow to see the ocean. The furniture is top notch and the condo has a very "Tommy Bahama" feel to it. I can email some pics if you like.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sealodge - Units B-12, D--5, D-66, D-9, E-7, F-9, G-9

We stayed in E-7 two years ago. The view down the coast toward the lighthouse took our breath away every time we walked through the door.