We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napali Tours?

San Diego, Calif
7 posts
Save Topic
Napali Tours?

Last time I was in Kauai I took a Napali Tour, and got alittle sea sick. I'd love to go again but I'm afraid of getting sick again. Does Dramimine work pretty well? Also who has a good Napali Tour? With or without snorkling, but would like to be able to swim while on the trip. Any Suggestions?

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napali Tours?

You don't say what time of year you're going - I would not set foot on a boat on the North Shore in the winter, but I'm not a big fan of boats in general. We're taking Liko's Kauai Cruise in late September and I plan to take something the night before.

San Diego, Calif
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Napali Tours?

We're leaving for Kauai in 2 days. Any suggestions for a Napali Tour ?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napali Tours?

We took the Na Pali Catamaran tour and thought it was great. It leaves from Hanalei, so is one of the few North Shore companies. Small boat, very responsive to what was happening as we went by--e.g. turned around to get closer to some dolphins (a pod? what is the collective noun?), positioned the boat for people to get the pictures they wanted. We were able to go into a sea cave, and we stopped at a good spot for snorkeling (same place all the boats go to).

I was worried about getting seasick (although I don't usually) so we took the non-drowsy formula of Dramamine, and none of us got sick. However, and I don't know if this was from the medicine or just jet lag, when we got back to the hotel we were all exhausted and slept from 4 pm until the next morning! Since I've never done that in my life, jet lag included, I've got to think that the medicine caused/contributed to our fatigue, and I'm never taking that stuff again. I'm sure not everyone reacts that way, but all 3 of us did.

Temecula, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Napali Tours?

We also took the NaPali Catamaran. I second all of the above regarding the good points. But, I do have to mention that the captain was a little grumpy towards a couple of the kids on board. He did not like "babysitting"(his words) and did speak sharply to them regarding talking while he was talking and walking with fins on the boat. I'm sure its a safety reason but, he could have handled it a little nicer. My kids (behaved well) did not experience this but, thought he was "being mean." If your party are all adults- the trip is awesome- it did feel very personal and accomodating in regards to details. If you have children the Liko (?) catamaran (that does not come out of the North Side) is supposed to be good and caters very well to children.

We also took the non-drowsy form of Dramamine. One dose before we slept and again in the morning when we woke up. No one got sick - even me who gets sick on the tire swing!

Temecula, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Napali Tours?

One more thing, don't wait until you are there to make reservations...a lot of the tour companies would probably be booked. I called a couple of weeks before I left for Kauai (in July) and only a couple days (morning preferable) were available.

brighteyes1161
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Napali Tours?

Try "CAPTAIN ANDY'S" we had a great time.......was supposed to a 5-5 1/2hour tour that lasted about 6-7 hours....was well worth it...I would look in the magazines you can pick up in the air port for 2 for 1's.......they are out there you just have to find them...