We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas vacation on Kauai

rural North Dakota
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas vacation on Kauai

My family (husband, 13 yr old son and myself) will be spending 2 weeks on Kauai over the Christmas holiday. We are booked at Waikomo Stream for the first week and Kiahuna Plantation for the second week. Wanted to spend all our time at Kiahuna as it is our favorite place but due to late trip planning wasn't able to make it work. Read about the construction in the Waikomo Stream area but I don't think it will be a problem for us as a 4 hour time difference makes us early risers on Kauai and we don't spend much time in our condo during the daytime hours.

My big question is what to do on Christmas Eve and Day on Kauai? We've never spent Christmas away from our home and extended family before but wanted to do a Kauai trip with our son and not have him miss a bunch of school. I'm worried that even though we are in a tropical paradise vs. cold North Dakota plains we may feel a little homesick unless we can come up with a great plan to mark the holiday. I did see that Smith's has their luau on Christmas Eve so that is one possibility but I would definitely appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

I was there last Christmas. I bought a small artificial tree at Walmart (it had ornaments already on it) which made my kids less homesick. I also mailed over gifts and had them delivered to the condo. On Christmas Eve we went to late afternoon church and then had 7PM reservations at Duke's. A luau sounds like a good idea too. I'm sure the Hyatt will have a brunch or dinner for Christmas Day. It will be a different experience but different is good. A day on the beach is always a good day.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

First of all, the construction isn't as bad as it was at Waikomo. Yes, they are still building but some of the louder work seems to have stopped.

Depending on when you get here, there may be some holiday activities that you can attend (not necessarily on Christmas day or eve). For example, when my family visited last year, we went to the holiday show put on by Leilani Rivera Bond and her halau. There may be a concert given at KCC for you guys to attend...

For the actual holiday, there are different buffets you might want to go to, to have a more formal meal. As was suggest before, maybe you want to get cheap decorations at walmart?

rural North Dakota
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

Thanks for the suggestion about the Christmas tree - will definitely help it to feel like more of a traditional holiday for us.

I like the idea of taking part in some unique Kauai Christmas activities. Is there a place online where I can find out about local concerts and the like?

Also glad to hear from a local that the construction isn't too bad. We did get a tremendous deal at Waikomo when we asked about construction so that helps!

Level Contributor
356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

Hi ND! We will be at Kiahuna starting on 12/27! This will be our first trip to Kauai -- DH, me, daughter (12 y.o.) and son (10 y.o.) We can't wait!

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

I am under the impression that Koloa Landing Condos, the project behind Waikomo Stream has resumed construction. The actual building is going on vs the blasting from last year. Maybe someone has stayed on the South Shore lately can let us know. That is the reason for the good rates.

Closer to the holidays, pzp usually posts a monthly activity guide. Also check 2 weeks before in the Garden Island News. http://www.kauaiworld.com/

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

My close friend lives at Waikomo and I visit often. The blasting (which was the really loud and awful part) has ended and as stated, the actual building phase is underway now. While you may hear a few trucks, hammering,and generally construction, it is NOTHING like it was last year. It might not be 100% quiet, but you won't be too upset- especially with the great deal I am sure you received.

Alexandria VA
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

I was in Kauai in December 2006, flying home two day before Christmas. Be sure to visit the Christmas displays in Lihue. I believe it's in the historical society building. Lots of homemade displays, including a lot by an elderly woman from recycled materials. Stop in the lobbies of the big hotels to see their displays, too. I remember there were concerts by local youth groups and musicians in the food court of the shopping mall in Lihue, too. I'm sure the big hotels (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt) serve Christmas dinners.

rural North Dakota
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

Thanks to all for the replies! How did anyone manage to plan a vacation before we had the internet and Tripadvisor??!!

Chicagoans - I'm sure your family will have a great time at Kiahuna. We've stayed there 3 times in the past and we think it is a special place and perfect for a family. We will be there beginning on Dec. 29 so we may run into you at the beach.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

Thanks to all for the replies! How did anyone manage to plan a vacation before we had the internet and Tripadvisor??!!

I wonder that same thing all the time!

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas vacation on Kauai

Take the time to look closely at the ornaments on the Christmas trees in places like the airport & hotels. I've seen some decorated completely in hula implements (poi balls, uli uli, small lei), Hawaiian musical instruments like various sized ukulele, etc. Its pretty interesting to see what decorating themes get used in the islands vs the mainland.