We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fish

I am not that familiar with all the fish available on Kauai. We love fish but mostly eat salmon or halibut. What are your favorite ways of cooking some of the Hawaiian fish either on the BBQ or in/on the stove?

denville, nj
Level Contributor
697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish

I love seared ahi tuna. Mix wasabi powder with mayo, to taste, let it sit for a while to absorb the flavor. Then spread on a nice thick tuna steak, and cook in a frying pan on the stovetop. No oil needed, as the mayo provides the oil. For very rare, cook on high heat for about 1 minute per side, longer for more well done . It works best in a pan rather than on a grill because all the mayo needs to brown. Fast simple and delicious.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,223 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish

I hate seared ahi. :-) To me, fish ought to be either cooked or raw, not in-between.

My favorite fish include mahi mahi (dorado), ono (wahoo), opah (Hawaiian Moon Fish), ahi (tuna) various snappers in season. I prefer grilled, baked or broiled fish with just lemon pepper or a mix of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, maybe some sesame oil.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish

I'm not a fan of ahi either. I've tried it but the thought of "raw" just doesn't sit with me. I have tried mahi mahi on Maui and it was good. Any more suggestions out there?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish

We love to grill Mahi Mahi. Haven't done it during vacation on Kauai, but get it fresh at our local fish market where I live. If you like halibut, you will like it even more.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish

pzp,

That sounds good! Can you tell me the amounts of each to make your ginger, sesame oil marinade?

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish

I haven't cooked any fish while on the island but I did have an awesome Tempura Ono at Coconuts a few years ago.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish

raw - sushi, poke or seared w/light soy/ginger/garlic glaze

deep fried - covered in sweet n sour sauce

grilled/bbq - straight w/ just a little salt

steamed - Chinese-style covered with green onion & chinese parsley (aka cilantro) and drizzeled with soy sauce and hot peanut oil

baked - w/ miso sauce

8. Re: Fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 17:20