We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt - should I be put off?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
712 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt - should I be put off?

At the same time as we are booked in at the Hyatt so are 5 conferences. Should I be worried? Has anybody else been there when lots of conferences have been on at the same time. Would it be packed out or is the hotel spread out enough to make the place not look over crowded? Would all the facilities be crowded? ie restaurants, pools etc.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

You might check with the Hyatt and find out the size of the conferences, and also what time of the year are you going to be there.

Seems like during the day, the attendees will be in conferences, but when they are done, they would fill the restaurants.

However, you are not relegated to eating at the Hyatt, so you could go to the golf course for breakfast, which is really nice.

There are plenty of places to eat in poipu.

Otherwise, are you planning on exploring the island, or just sitting at your resort. That might make a difference in your decision.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I narrate the torchlighting ceremony at the Hyatt and yes, there are lots of conferences at the Hyatt since it is one of the few hotels with those types of facilities.

However, in my experience they have their own activities and excursions and dinners on-site but not in the restaurants - so I wouldn't worry about it being overly crowded. Last nite there was a Microsoft conference there (I think) and the Seaview Terrace was almost empty - the waitresses said all the conference folk were at a function.

They keep the conferfencees pretty busy and they don't seem to impact the regular visitor areas much that I can see.

Malama Pono,

Janet

USA
Level Contributor
394 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

You'll be fine. When we were there I was aware of several conferences going on. It was no problem at all. Yes, the Hyatt grounds are definitely big enough to accomodate all without feeling crowded. It might be a good thing - fewer children! Don't take that wrong as I do love children but it's nice when the restaurants and hallways are quiet!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

That's a down-side of the Hyatts and one reason why they tend to be huge with expansive grounds. The conferees do bring their spouses or families. But does it make a difference whether the Hyatt is crowded with individuals or crowded with conventioners? Probably not. The have a certain number of rooms to fill and will do their best to fill them nonetheless.

Conferees tend to drink alot ... OK, stereo-type here ... but often the booze is free and people overdo it.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

There were several conferences there during our stay - generally the groups were parcelled out to activities during the day and they held gatherings at a couple of spots on the grounds for dinners, also had breakfasts separately.

The Hyatt is a large property and I doubt you would be impacted at all by the groups.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

We ended up at the Hyatt last December during a huge Veterinarians convention. We hardly noticed them at all. I did make advanced reservations for Dondero's and Tide Pools before we flew over but the hotel never seemed over crowded. We easily found tables at the Stevenson's Library for sushi one evening and breakfast was not too crowded. We also found lounge chairs at the salt water lagoon and many were empty.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

We were at the Hyatt in Aug. The hotel was 100% booked with people on vacation, not conventions. Still hardly noticed it was full. Everything is spread out. No problems being at the lagoon or pool. We made reservations at the restaurants before we left home because it was our Anniversary and we wanted to be assured of sunset dining and waterfront tables. Same for all the restaurants in Poipu.

When we attend conferences at other Hyatt's on the mainland, all the functions and meals are in the ballrooms. We usually go a couple days early so we can check out other areas in the convention town.

8. Re: Hyatt - should I be put off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 14:18