We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

Saturday was a fine morning, and we worked out at the gym, then stopped by Roys, to pick up some home made chocolate macadamia nut fudge. ( No they were not open, but a wonderful lady was having a small fund raiser, and had pre orders for her baked goodies). She works at Roys, and they let her set up a small table out near the bar area.

Then it was on to the cane haul road to CJM, and the coastal walk/hike over to Maha'ulpeu beach.

As we walked past Gillens, and approached the point that lies between Gillens and Kauailoa, we spotted the temporary barrier.

Oh great, a monk seal must be up there.

Well, the volunteer was there passing out information brochures to the few visitors. probaly about six people.

And lying on the warm sand, was Mom, and her brand new pup, just born previous night. They were cuddled together, all snoozed out. Another monk seal lay about 20 yards away, in the same catatonic state.

Turns out it is the exact same mom monk seal who gave birth to a pup, in the exact same place last year. That yearling is now residing up on the east shore someplace.

I know some folks here like to hear about the monk seals and whales, etc., so if you are on island, you drive to the parking lot ( along cane haul road ), and walk the short distance up to the point to check it out.

Have fun

Denny

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

Thanks for the information, brings back such memories

my husband and I were in Kauai just over 1 month ago, (seems like so long ago) Wish I was there now.

we saw a monk seal at Maha'ulpeu beach, just snoozing, and we were the only ones on the beach.

I keep checking out TA as I continue to have withdrawals, However when I read things like this, it brings me right back there. Trying to keep the Aloha spirit alive back home.

Have a great day.

cheryl

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

I would love to see Mom and baby - how awesome!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

Mom and baby were sunning themselves at the Sheraton Nov 5 - 8. They were so cute!

Ramsey, Minnesota
Level Contributor
286 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

We were in Kauai Nov. 1-9 and saw 2 monk seals on the beach at the Sheraton. It think it was on the 7th. One of the many highlights of our trip! How awesome it must be to see a newborn. Thanks for sharing!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

Thanks for the update, Denny.

So wish we were there to see the pup. Hopefully we will see some seals and whales when we are there in April.

6. Re: New monk seal at Maha'ulepu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 06:30