We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol from Costco

Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol from Costco

I am headed to Poipu very soon and have received a recommendation to stop by Costco before going to my hotel to get a bottle or two of liquor to cut down on drink costs poolside. Two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any problems with taking your own drinks around any hotel grounds/pool/beach?

2. I'm also flying from Kauai to Maui midway through my trip - Is there any restriction against putting a bottle in your checked luggage on a flight?

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendation. Really looking forward to our first Kauai visit - and our honeymoon of course.

Marin
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol from Costco

Stopping bt Costco is a great idea, we (and many others) arrive at our hotel with bags of snacks, food, water and liquor. The hotels are use to it. Although it's only happened a few times, I've been asked at the pool to put away my own alcohol. They say there's a law in Hawaii about bringing outside liquor to a hotel pool. Ever since I just buy a plastic soda bottle and pour my drinks into them. You can also buy one of those bottle coolers that zip up to hide (attempt) a beer bottle. As far as taking them on a plane, I would be afraid of them leaking and causing damage to my stuff.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
63 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol from Costco

Great idea to get your liquor to cut costs..we would mix the drinks in our room and we just put them in large insulated cups, (available at walmart) or as suggested bring a insulated cooler and keep beer in it. As far as inter island travel with it. would be concerned with leaking also. So only buy what you think you will drink on each island, plenty of places to purchase liquor on the islands.

Have a great vacation. Aloha....

Tennessee
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol from Costco

There were such great deals on wine at Costco that we bought too much and had to donate a couple of bottles to our rental when we left! We saved a couple of the plastic drink cups that the hotel was serving drinks in at the pool and put our own in them.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol from Costco

I was at Costco today looking to buy Maui Pineapple wine. they didn't have any!

(I did take advantage of their incredible gas prices, thank you Janet for that info) and filled up

I want to ship a few bottles of that wine home, but not too pricey. suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
36,411 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol from Costco

There are plenty of liquor stores on the island. I would not bother driving all the way to Costco for a few bottles of booze. Even Longs has decent prices.

Most hotels do not allow you to consume your own alcohol in public areas. The beaches do not allow it either but they also don't enforce it.

You can bring liquids of whatever kind in your checked baggage. Just wrap it carefully. Have you ever seen some of those baggage handlers? They are huge and rough!

Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol from Costco

Thank you for all of the replies. This definitely makes me feel more comfortable about buying outside liquor.

- I have to try to save money where I can... the future Mrs. Mineral loves her spa days.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol from Costco

Rose: We bought the Maui pineapple wine at Long's in Lahaina. Maybe Long's on Kauai carries it too.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol from Costco

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I believe that our local Costco carries the wines from Tedeschi Winery on Maui - I know I've seen it there.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol from Costco

Costco has some of the highest price liquor in Hawaii..

Go to Longs drug store.... prices 30 to 50% below costco...and you wont have to wait in a line for hours...I dont know any local who buys liquor at Costco.....

Its against the law on any hawaiian beach to drink or possess liquor.. as the beaches are public. Same holds true of public parks... Here on the big island the cops will cite you...

If you drink in your room I think there will be no problem.... I see problems if you are using the hotels facilities in public like at pools and restauraunts. Like bringing in to a bar a bottle and asking for ice.... Would that work in Texas?

Ok to ship bottles in checked luggage

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,251 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol from Costco

Dan, for many of us from the mainland, Costco prices are MUCH cheaper. They carry larger bottles so when you are hosting 8 folks ya don't need two! Long's, Safeway and etc also have great prices but they normally offer the smaller bottles! Just a West Coast observance!

We normally send a case or 2 of pineapple wine home from the winery on Maui! Much cheaper if you visit, but check out their website as well...we have had great service from them.

TO the OP...if you have some left just wrap them well in plastic garbage bags and cushion them in your luggage...we have never had a problem! Have a great time! Congrats!